Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - oilrag
I`m about 6` 2" with a 33 inside leg - and having trouble finding comfort on modern bikes. Question is - are they now more `scrunched up` - or is it me having memories of bikes where the seat seemed higher, further back and flatter?

I sat on a few bikes out in the Far East and found them grim. the seats seemed to be where I would expect the fuel tank to be and I felt like I was on that horse that belonged to a girlfriend years ago. (knees up near my chin)

I want straight legs too - feet down, it`s no good with knees bent at 45% `cos my knees won`t take it.

I seem to remember sitting well back on a flat seat on my Triumph twin in the 60`s and the same with my Yamaha SR 500.

I feel like I`m astride a hobby horse on a modern bike and that handle bars rise out of the centre of the fuel tank.

What`s going on?

Edited by oilrag on 05/10/2009 at 19:59

Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - DP
Depends on the type of bike, oilrag. Sports bikes are getting tinier and more extreme (or "focused" in bike journo speak). In fact, I wonder who exactly they expect to fit on a modern 600 supersports machine. Dinky, diminutive things which you perch on top of, chin over the fuel tank, and with your knees bent like a jockey. They weigh ten grams and go like something off a shovel as long as you've got a million RPM on the dial, below which they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Fun in a masochistic sort of way.

I suspect a big naked like a Yamaha XJR1300 or Suzuki GSX1400 would be quite familiar to you, as would the likes of the previous generation (955cc) Triumph Speed Triple. Physically longer, bigger bikes with flat bars and a bit of space to breathe.
Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - oilrag
That explains it DP, thanks. Thought it was me - the only bikes I could remotely get comfortable on were 125 singles (due to the flat seat) and I was sitting on the rear of the seat, at that.

No big frame bikes - I suppose it makes sense out there too - with people on average being smaller.

Edited by oilrag on 05/10/2009 at 20:16

Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - bathtub tom
A neighbour got himself a 'mid-life-crisis' Ducati. He's over six foot and must be fifteen stone.

He put on his brand new one-piece leathers, got on the bike and rrrriiiipppp! There's no way they were going to suffer that.

He always reminded me of a kid riding a push-bike several sizes too small
Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - Derfel
A friend of mine has just bought a Yamaha TDM 900 and that is a very comfortable bike to sit on. A big frame and plenty of room between seat and footrests so it feels very natural and everything seems in the right place.
Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - dieselnut
I think most of the BMW range would suit you, especially the GS.
The GS Adventure really suits long legged riders.
Everything falls exactly to hands & feet with high wide bars & adjustable seat height.
You site high up & can see over cars in front.
Well worth a test ride from your local BMW dealer.
Astride the `Hobby Horse` scrunched up bikes - Westpig
my Honda Blackbird is quite a comfy beast, i've done week long holidays on it...my brother's Honda Fireblade most certainly is not, I managed 50 miles

mine when new was called a sports tourer (nowadays it would be more a tourer), his is a sports bike

what you need is a tourer