how to start again? - concrete
Now 60 and have a yearning to have a motorbike again. Not riden for 25 years. Still fit and strong (6'2" and 15 stones). Some training would seem the best option. Also what to buy after the training. Any advice welcomed. Concrete
how to start again? - SteveLee
Get yourself a little four stroke 125 or if you don't want a physically small bike a 500 twin like a Honda CB5, Kawasaki ER5 or Suzuki GS500, potter around for a few months on it to get your confidence back - maybe book an advanced riding lesson or two, then get a proper bike, what sort of bike are you after? Speed? Comfort? Will you carry pillions?

If there are not too many budget concerns, consider a Triumph Bonnie, extremely easy to ride, reliable and not too overwhelming in terms of performance.
how to start again? - concrete
Thanks Steve, good advice. I have just discovered locally there is a training school which takes anyone from absolute beginers to experienced, I will call in this week and have a chat.
As you say, once the confidence and skill level returns then some advanced tuition would be useful. In terms of the bike comfort is a major factor, the more I like riding again the more I will do so comfort is important. Not at the expense of handling and ride but a happy medium can be found. Speed is not an issue, most modern bikes seem pretty fast to me. No pillions either, except in unusual circumstances. SWMBO would not go within yards of a bike. Strangely enough I read an article this weekend about Triumph and it did seem to stand out as bike I would like. Nearer the time I will ask again for comments about clothing etc. Thanks again. Concrete
how to start again? - craig-pd130

What bike did you have most recently?

A bit of training would be good to get you back into the swing of things, but you'll be surprised how quickly it comes back to you -- I had a 12-year break from bikes and getting back on the saddle was surprisingly easy, helped by modern riding gear which is streets ahead of what we had 20-odd years ago.

Modern helmets, jackets etc are so much lighter, more mobile and safer.

My venerable Suzi GT380 (with its mighty 37bhp -- probably no more than 30bhp at the back wheel) is more than capable of handling modern traffic conditions. In my view people don't go much faster these days than they used to, the sheer volume of traffic and speed cameras see to that.

Modern tyres and brake pad compounds make a big difference to handling, too.
how to start again? - debzwallace
It's great you wna to get back into the saddle! as above, it's easier if you an get your confidence back up, your local training school should be able to help you with that, even if you start on the 125 and then the 500. You'll soon be back out on the road!as for clothing, best to go and try a pile of things on and find something comfortable and warm. the clothing is miles better and a good fitting helmet is obviously essential. bike wise a triumph is a good choice or i found an upright such as a faser 1000 is a good riding position. i have a 57 XJR1300 it is remarkably comfortable and quite light compared to even the Faser.
take your time and get a few test drives... it's fun!
how to start again? - doug_523i
I'd recommend something like a Kawasaki ER5, a 125 is a horrible thing to learn on, they aren't substantial enough, the rider makes up too much of the total weight. Most training schools I see use the Kawasaki, suggesting it's durable and easy to ride.