helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - Knowledge Boy

i am a novice rider on a scooter trundling around London. i would like to change my helmet currently a £49 takita.

i would appreciate recommendations for a new helmet.

best wishes

John

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - mcyoon

Look in bike mags for results of the new "sharp" test. it's a standard test of the helmets safety. the results are surprising, some £400 helmets score less than some £100 ones! Let it guide you but you need to try them on. iN the city i'd be tempted by a flip front one.

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - Berisford

I can't comment other than to say how shocked I was last week when browsing in Hein Gerike's, the price of helmets these days!

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - Halligan

I have a Caberg V2R, and is excellent. I believe all of Cabergs lids are either 4 or 5 star Sharp safety rated, and all are under £130. Plus most have an internal retractable sun visor

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - amj

Ive recently bought an HJC carbon from Hein Gericke for £199 and im very pleased with it. Ive been a top of the range Shoei man for years and was a little dubious about buying something cheaper but have to say im pleased with it.

Being made of carbon fibre it is lighter than most other helmets and has a built in flip down sun visor.

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - SteveLee

The best quality helmets which don't cost the earth are HJCs, the designer of these South Korean lids is the ex-chief designer of Shoei. They really are top quality lids at almost budget prices.

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - Knowledge Boy

Thanks for the advice. Are there any disadvantages to flip top helments.

Regards

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - gmac

You need to think about what you need from your helmet.

I would recommend a helmet with a built in second tinted visor which can be flipped down. It saves having to carry a second visor and the BiB don't have an issue with these.
I would also go with a double D lock rather than the seatbelt type clip but that's my preference.

You need to go and try some helmets on as what fits one person does not fit another. I don't have a Shoei shaped head but an Arai fits perfectly.

helmets £70 to £450 any preferences - Stropley

I'm the opposite as I wear a Shoei and love it although I originally wanted an Arai but couldn't get the fit right.

My Shoei's 4 or 5 years old now so I am also looking for a new lid. Priority for me at the moment is low noise as the Shoei has got really noisy even with earplugs in. If anyone knows of a really quiet lid please reply.

In regard to an earlier comment about HJC helmets they sell them at my local go-kart track and I was looking at them the other day. The carbon lid is lovely & light. I wanted to try it on but they didn't have my size. Now I know about the Shoei connection I'll be going back.

They certainly felt good, had all the ACU/BSI accreditations and are keenly priced.

A lot of the designs I saw were garish but I think the stock held is driven by what the go-karters want!