Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - mbftov6
Bought a second hand Tiger Reg 2001, First ride was nearly my last. Banked over to the left and it seemed to lock on the steering, the side stand dropped cutting the motor and the front brake seemed to make the whole bike judder, but this had a brand new MOT?
Contacted another garage as I still had a week left on the warranty, after, all 8 defects were found by vale motorcycles in Cowbridge I had the bike sent back to the original dealership with a list.
The parts that failed inspection were;
Front Wheel bearing - shot
Steering Headrace bearing - shot
Intermittent cutting out - defective wiring from ignition
Sidestand spring - defective
Console Lights - defective
Oil sump leaking - gasket replaced
vibration from final drive chain - adjusted
Engine Idle - defective - parts replaced

I'm told that this particular MOT station has a reputation for "SELLING" MOT's, and this could of ended my riding career for good. I've informed the VOSPA people and they are investigating, I just hope they get their just deserves.
Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - amj

What has the original seller said about the faults, are they prepared to sort them FOC? How long was the warranty? You say the first ride showed these faults but you only have a week left on the warranty? This doesnt sound very long to me????

To be fair, several of the faults mentioned would not be covered by an mot anyway although they should still have been fixed before sale if they were aware of them.

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - BorisTheSpider

I'm sorry if this sounds patronising but did you not do any pre-ride checks? especially on bike you had never ridden before. Hope you get it sorted out and are happy to ride it again.

Boris

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - Bikegeezer

I would always test ride the bike before buying. If they refuse a test ride I refuse to buy.

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - ricky121

HOLY s***!!!! u sud hv alwyz chk a second hand a bike before buying it.. n proper checking means not by u or me or some other guy..u should check it from an experienced mechanic.. i also had a bad experience with my previous bike.. anyway have sold it few dayz back.. i am going to buy the new Triumph Tiger 1050cc. do u have any idea about it? i was searching for the reviews of it.. i think it would be a great tourer + adventure bike.. have not ridden in mountain roads yet. but i think 1050cc engine will be strong enough for the mountain roads. have u been to any mountain road for riding?? would u suggest me what precautions i should take before starting my journey?

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 16/05/2011 at 10:35

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - ricky121

hi, now i am having a problem with my tiger. the rear break is not working properly.. sometimes if the bike get wet in rain, the break is not working and making the bike skid sometimes. have shown to a local service center but they are not able to fix the problem. i have changed the break pad also. but still facing same problem. is it a problem with break fluid ??

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 16/05/2011 at 10:35

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - Cris_on_the_gas

This sounds like a sticky caliper. I am surprised that a service centre could not diagnose the cause if you described the symtom as above to them. The calipers should be checked at every service, at least that is what I do. Take them out of the mountings and give the pistons a good clean with old brake fluid and check the seals and make sure the piston moves in the caliper.

The brake fluid should be changed about every two years as it does absorb water during its life which does reduce it effectivness. Old fluid seems to be darker than new fluid and might make the brakes feel spongey. Good tip to always use new fluid of the right type, normally DOT 4 or 5 and make sure its from a new sealed bottle not one you've had on the shelf for a few years.

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - bangers

further to try before you buy a kid i worked with took out a fzr a few years back thinking it was an fzr600 and ordered a new un when he got back to the shop. a few days after riding his new pride and joy he took it back saying it was not as quick as the test bike only to be told he had taken out the 1000 and not the 600

Triumph Tiger 955i - MOT Pass, but it should of Failed - SteveLee

"normally DOT 4 or 5" AFAIK only Harley Davidson specify DOT 5 fluid. I suspect you mean DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 (often called super DOT 4). DOT 5 is silicone fluid and should not be used in systems designed for DOT4 or 5.1