back to biking? - jag

looking to go back to biking after 40yrs. obviously have to do a cbt although i still have the full licence. was thinking of a honda dullville , bmw r 850 or even a kwak w650/800. her indoors will likely have the final say as to whether this happens or not. at 64 am i being daft? had'nt the time when i was working but now retired.

back to biking? - amj

Why do you have to do a CBT? Do you not have a full bike license?

However, after that long away from bikes it would be prudent to get some form of refersher training.

back to biking? - jag

a cbt would be sensible to get me going again ,doesn't seem to any other way of getting some useful experience.

back to biking? - Harry Boy

Go for it Jag, providing you are "bike-fit" there should be little problem. I used to have a W650 and it would be ideal, if a little heavy. Old fashioned biking with an upright stance. No fairing means 70 is comfortable but more available should you want it. The new 800 should be more flexible and is available, while the W650 will be more difficult to buy. Have a look at the Royal Enfields too, very characterful but you may need to tinker with them as not as well built as the Japanese. Currently running a BMW GS650 (800 twin) again upright style but rides the potholes superbly. Hope this helps.

back to biking? - PaulR1

Good idea Jag, have a look at the Kawasaki Versys, nice all round bike, friendly and fun.

The training is a good idea, there are a lot of places you can go, CBT is a little limiting in that they don't really teach you a lot, although you do get some time on a 125 and might decide it's not for you.

Good luck anyway.

back to biking? - SteveLee
Why not a Triumph Bonneville? It's a better bike all round than the W650, better brakes, handling and nicer to ride. Unlike Triumphs of old it's totally reliable - like the W650!
back to biking? - jag

mcn reckoned the kwak was better than the bonnie. anyway i couldn't ride a triumph as i used to be bsa.

mcn reckoned the kwak was better than the bonnie. anyway i couldn't ride a triumph as i used to be bsa.

Hmmm, because you "used to be BSA" you now want to ride what you would have called a ****ing "rice burner" in the good old days instead of a British bike? Strange...

I've ridden both - I can assure you the Bonnie is much better in every area, the W650 is perhaps better value because it depreciates quicker than the Bonnie - that's the only advantage I can think of.

back to biking? - Bedhead

The W650 really is a tiny little thing, I'm 6'1 and it feels like a moped!

Interesting bevel driven camshaft though!

Strange. I am a good six footer too but found my W650 perfectly comfortable, it's certainly no lightweight either. Have in the past piloted a Yamaha FJ1200 and although obviously a different bike altogether, comfortwise the W650 compares well over moderate i.e. everyday journey distances. A moped it ain't.

back to biking? - Bedhead

I always felt "perched" on the W, although it's not the lightest bike in the world and certainly heavier than the OH's SV650, it always felt small to me, and any pillion was near enough sitting on the tail light. Saying that I'm a stocky 6'1 so that's not the bikes fault!

It's a tribute to the designers that it hides it's weight so well, I would never have put it at only 35 kilos lighter than my CBR1000F!

How did you rate the FJ? The CBR is now 21 years old and I've always had a hankering for an FJ12, supposed to be a torque monster?

back to biking? - jag

Hmmm, because you "used to be BSA" you now want to ride what you would have called a ****ing "rice burner" in the good old days instead of a British bike? Strange...

I've ridden both - I can assure you the Bonnie is much better in every area, the W650 is perhaps better value because it depreciates quicker than the Bonnie - that's the only advantage I can think of.

hi, steve. i never thought of the jap bikes as ******rice burners. indeed my last bsa ( a barracuda ) made me think i should have bought a honda, the bsa handled ok but reliability wasn't it's strong point. had a seat on a w800 and it is not for me. a bmw f800st was very comfy. we shall see.

Hi Bedhead, I like the phrase "hides its weight well" if only i could. Never had a pillion on the W650, so yes I can see it would be a bit tight for room. Loved the FJ so easy and understressed, trouble was it was a mile muncher, while I really enjoyed the backroads. Yes the torque characteristics were fun and are of course legendary. I loved the story of the couple who rode over the Alpine Pass with full luggage and complained that the FJ was a bit sluggish..understandable as they had snagged a coach and had towed it all the way to the top. Apocryphal I should say, but.

Jag, reason I suggested a Royal Enfield as well as the W650 was because if going back to biking it may be easier to persuade your other half if you can convince her that you will be spending more time maintaining it than riding it. Whatever you choose, enjoy it. Ciao

back to biking? - jag

Jag, reason I suggested a Royal Enfield as well as the W650 was because if going back to biking it may be easier to persuade your other half if you can convince her that you will be spending more time maintaining it than riding it. Whatever you choose, enjoy it. Ciao

if i go back to biking the last thing i want to do is spend a half day riding ( the bike ) and a day and a half fettling it, hence the bmw thoughts. no chain for a start. now i suppose i will be told bmw are not reliable, all views welcome.

S1000Rs aside BMWs are reliable, as are the vast majority of volume manufactured motorcycles.

Harry boy, get yourself a Hayabusa - enjoy FJR-crushing grunt and fun on the twisties.

back to biking? - amelca24

I can say that if you really want thrill and a lot more speed I have to agree that Hayabusa sports nike is the one for you. Though this bike is so expensive since it is a limited edition but I think it won't fail to give you the good vibes and excitement.

www.flrs.co.uk/Non_Geographic_Numbers.html
back to biking? - imayid

We ride the f800st at work i hate it and went back to the dullville find it a much more comfortable ride but i spose it depends how long you spend a day in the saddle.

back to biking? - jag

We ride the f800st at work i hate it and went back to the dullville find it a much more comfortable ride but i spose it depends how long you spend a day in the saddle.

had a seat on the dullville, a bit hard on the family jewels but keeping an open mind.any opinions on the cbf 600?

back to biking? - Jugg

Lots of advice here about which bike to ride but little response to your opening post.

If you want to do it, do it right. The CBT will be of some use but I recommend signing up to a "Back to biking" course. Any good motorcycle training school will be able to provide this. Your riding ability will be assessed on a training ground, probably on a 125cc machine, then you will go out on the road with an instructor. So far very similar to the CBT. Following on from this you will have the opportunity to ride a larger bike in a similar way to the Direct Access scheme. This way will give you the best restart and give you priceless experience of riding as modern, but power restricted, motorcycle. Your old beezer may have been a quick machine in its time but modern bikes are much much more poweful and much quicker. Unfortunately time will have the opposite on your good self, as it has on all of us. ( I know. I will soon be 60 ).

No! You are definitely not daft, but please please get some good refresher training and enjoy yourself. Have fun out there but always remember - Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !!! Have fun.

back to biking? - jag

Lots of advice here about which bike to ride but little response to your opening post.

If you want to do it, do it right. The CBT will be of some use but I recommend signing up to a "Back to biking" course. Any good motorcycle training school will be able to provide this. Your riding ability will be assessed on a training ground, probably on a 125cc machine, then you will go out on the road with an instructor. So far very similar to the CBT. Following on from this you will have the opportunity to ride a larger bike in a similar way to the Direct Access scheme. This way will give you the best restart and give you priceless experience of riding as modern, but power restricted, motorcycle. Your old beezer may have been a quick machine in its time but modern bikes are much much more poweful and much quicker. Unfortunately time will have the opposite on your good self, as it has on all of us. ( I know. I will soon be 60 ).

No! You are definitely not daft, but please please get some good refresher training and enjoy yourself. Have fun out there but always remember - Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !!! Have fun.

exactly my intentions, thanks

back to biking? - KenC

Get yourself a copy of the Police Motor Cycle Road Craft Book

( that the police use to train their motorcyclists) although it was written decades ago the riding principles still apply.

back to biking? - jag

did a 2.5hr refresher course yesterday, b***** hard work. the first halfhour i thought i must be mad then began to enjoy it. i thought i was a good car driver but the bike course opened my eyes. the 42yr time gap has changed things a lot. started on a 125 learner yam then the last 3/4 hr on an ER500. i was a bit nervous to start then the concentration of riding took over. even after all these years i had difficulty remembering that the rear brake is on the right and the gear change on the left. had no probs sleeping last night. found the bikes a bit tight for leg and foot room, i'm 6ft with size 11s. had a seat on a transalp after, seemed a bit comfier. will now have to work on the missus to get a bike. lol.

back to biking? - jag

update; have now bought myself a bmw f 800s. done about 200mls on it, getting on not too badly. still have the odd difficult moment pulling away from junctions, stalled a few times, it goes against the grain to slip the clutch too much so will have to get more practice in. the bike has the taller f800 st screen but i'm finding the wind blast a bit of a nusiance. can anyone reccomend different screens, ( mra or givi )? thanks for all the help so far, jag.

back to biking? - jag

update: after doing 3000mls. on the f800s the family jewels and the knee & hip joints were suffering so have now changed to a r1200 gs 2009 model. comfier almost as good a ride but about 20mpg less- 52 /72. had a great summer.

back to biking? - focussed

Jag-the best advice I can give you after I came back to biking 18 years ago is to seek out and join your local Advanced motorcycle group. You will get the best ongoing tuition and encouragement from very experienced bikers, some of whom may be serving or ex police motorcyclists. And most groups have quite a lively social scene with ride outs and so forth.Don't be put off that you may think that they are out of your league-they will welcome you with open arms. Just go to the Institute of Advanced Motorists website and search for your local group-good luck!

back to biking? - 7omly

Jag mate - just go for it. You are too old for regrets but obviously young at heart because you want a motorbike. The one piece of advice I would give you is don't get over-confident because a lot of people coming back to biking in later life come a cropper that way. I'm 52 and have never been without a bike and I ride all year round in all weathers (some would say that is bordering on mental illness) go for and you'll have a smile on your face a crowbar couldn't remove. As for the missus do what I did. I had a really bad accident and the wife said she never wanted me to ride a bike again. I simply drove past our local bike shop at every opportunity till one day she said "That's a lovely bike, It would suit you grand". I didn't really want a Yam Diversion but it got me back into biking (with the wife's blessing).

Good luck and safe riding

Edited by 7omly on 31/07/2012 at 21:43

back to biking? - geriatricbiker

looking to go back to biking after 40yrs. obviously have to do a cbt although i still have the full licence. was thinking of a honda dullville , bmw r 850 or even a kwak w650/800. her indoors will likely have the final say as to whether this happens or not. at 64 am i being daft? had'nt the time when i was working but now retired.

Jag, go for it! Four years ago I got back to biking after a 26 year layoff, I'm now 71 and counting and my current ride is a Suzuki RF900R. Two years ago my son, Suzuki GSX650F, my daughter's partner, Honda VFR750, and I had a great weekend in the Isle of Man riding the TT Circuit. The last time I was in the island was TT Week 1960.

back to biking? - Jonnster

Jag, go for it! Four years ago I got back to biking after a 26 year layoff, I'm now 71 and counting and my current ride is a Suzuki RF900R. Two years ago my son, Suzuki GSX650F, my daughter's partner, Honda VFR750, and I had a great weekend in the Isle of Man riding the TT Circuit. The last time I was in the island was TT Week 1960.

Great question. My thoughts, after having taken 20 years out before getting back into biking 5 years ago, is go for it. The DVLA may force you to take a test, as one bloke on my course had his entitlement removed due to a 'processing error'. As it happens he was glad as it gave him an excuse to do the training.

From my point of view, the bike training is excellent. There are lots of people who complain about the new stringent 2 part tests, but I've used every single part of the practical test over the 20k miles I've done on my bikes since getting back into riding.

Would not recommend a Versys for someone of your vintage. I own one and find it needs a bit of a high kick to get on her, and I'm 6'0". If you have any concerns about flexibility I would go for much lower seat...so avoid the BMW G's or the Triumph Tigers. I test rode a Kwak W800 and a Royal Enfield and both of them were a hoot with such a natural riding position. The reason I didn't buy one was due to me falling in love with the Versys and my need to do all year commuting...so needed some weather protection.

Good luck to you and I take my hat off to anyone with your sense of adventure.

back to biking? - chrisberg

Biking is really a good exercise and for me you got a good idea.

back to biking? - 1litregolfeater

Compared to sitting on a sofa or a settee or even a couch.

For exercise you have to get on a bike without an engine and go up some hills usibg your legs and lungs.

back to biking? - Defactio

LOL, I've seen 60 year olds (and younger) in their fashionable lycra.

Not for me - I'll stick with the moderate exercise that a motorcycle gives me, along with the power to 'get out of trouble' - thank you.

;-)

back to biking? - peter bye

I have had more than 25 bikes over the last 40 years or so . As i have got older I have chosen lighter weight machines which are good all rounders . The best of which is the Honda Deauville I have toured with far bigger ,faster bikes and have never been left behind . The engine is bomb proof ,make sure you have a full service history from a Honda dealer . Dont discount the Suzuki Burgman 650 it will do everything from shopping to international touring . Very quick exceptional on corners and will cruise all day at 90 to 100 mph . The easiest most relaxing machine which does the job . I bought a Goldwing earlier this year,rode it to Italy and back couldnt get used to the weight , sold it back to the dealer and got my old Burgman back . One of the happiest days of my life

back to biking? - Abigail Carson

I kind of like got inspired of this. This has track me down and getting my attention.