Foot down - why? - RaineMan

Over the last year or so I have seen an increasing number of people riding mopeds/scooters/ motorcycles with one foot (and sometimes both feet) just above the ground. I am not talking about being at a virtual standstill but at speeds above walking pace. The reason I find it scary it that when I broke my leg some years ago there was a guy in outpatients who had done just exactly that. Unfortuneately his foot had dug into the road and in his own words he had polevaulted using his leg. This resulted is a very unpleasnat compound hip fracture as his femur had been forced into the pelvis. Extremely nasty! So why do people do it?

Foot down - why? - dadbif
Here in Spain, most scooter/moped riders, young and old alike, ride with one leg down, the practice is that prevalent that I assume they are taught thus. A ridiculous and dangerous practice.
Foot down - why? - bathtub tom

The numpties think they need to put a foot down on corners, or can be used as a brake.

Probably a result of them learning to ride push-bikes without adequate brakes.

Foot down - why? - jag

nah, they all think they are a certain v. rossi.

Foot down - why? - pda

Red doesn't really suit him......yet:)

Pat

Foot down - why? - craig-pd130

Agreed, some racers don't put their foot on the rest until they are approaching the first corner (on the warm-up lap, anyway).

Foot down - why? - RaineMan

Over the bank holiday weekend I saw someone riding a three wheeled scooter with their nearside foot about 2" above the road. They were doing about 30 mph. Truly bizarre!