triumph america. - bike road tax??????? - conman

I have just emailed the DVLA asking them to justify my £74 vehicle tax against my £30 car vehicle tax.

I am confused we are in a world of being green and less polution so the government is rewarding people that buy green cars by pay less road tax. My car produces 119 grms so the tax is £30 a year, it averages just over 52 mpg. My motorbike which I am having to use more now due to the price of fuel averages 60 mpg and produces 84 grms CO2, it also uses less space on the road and I am less likely to create traffic jams. Yet my tax is £74, if it was a car no tax would be payable. The old excuse by the government was that bikes were for leisure, not today they arn't. The government can't have it both ways. Please reply

triumph america. - bike road tax??????? - conman

Please look at my other blog titled

triumph america. - bike road tax???????

THANKS

triumph america. - bike road tax??????? - unthrottled

The first thing to note is that CO2 emissions and fuel consumption are the same thing! It's just that there are already two taxes on petrol and a third might make the golden goose squeak. So they invented a new tax thinking that thickos wouldn't realise this. Thus far, most haven't!

The second thing to note is that the theoretical CO2 emissions are meaningless. They are based on a sham drive cycle which is nothing more than a random number generator. Nor does the tax system take into account how the vehicle is driven, not how many miles it covers a year.

My car is taxed under the old system whereby anything over 1549cc is taxed at a rate of £220/year. I'm in the same tax band as privately owned tractor units!! Anything under this arbitrary cut off point is taxed at half this rate. Arbitrary and unfair.

I average 43mpg and pay £220 for 8000 miles motoring.

£74 for 60mpg sounds like better value to me.

There's no rationale or fairness behind motoring taxes. Diesel is taxed less than petrol on a mass basis (which is what matters) and LPG is barely taxed at all in spite of the fact that its CO2 emissions are almost identical to petrol.

Don't get upset over fifty quid. It isn't worth it :)