Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Palema

Had the car from new. Intermittent light on dash. Taken to Vauxhall dealer numerous times but no fault found. Now out of warranty and clutch fault ,,- the dealership deemed car unsafe to drive so paid for courtesy car as went in 22/12. Vauxhall fixed clutch problem and now want £1.300!!!!! Car has been in for several safety recalls too. Several FB forums state this is common fault and most have had it fixed at no cost. Vauxhall H/O rang me today to say I have to pay, despite me sending them screenshots proving it's a common fault. the dealership left me a voicemail earlier saying car should be ready to collect later today and will give me a ring when it's ready. Obviously I can't keep courtesy car but don't want to pay either but garage are not going to release my car without payment.

Edited by Xileno on 31/12/2021 at 16:31

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - elekie&a/c doctor

Were you advised that the job would be chargeable to yourselves? Did you authorise the dealer to proceed with the repairs & did they give any idea of the cost.?

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - thunderbird

A 67 plate car will be well out of warranty, the latest it could have been registered would have been February 2018, same as our Pulsar, almost 4 years old.

But regardless of that clutch issues do not put on dash lights and every manufacturers warranty I have seen excludes clutches unless it can be proven its a manufacturing fault. So when you pick the car up and pay demand the parts back so you can get an engineers report on them should you need to. If they refuse to give you the parts its technically theft since you are paying for the replacements at this time. Gets nasty after this.

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Palema

Thanks

Yes yes and yes.

The whole point of this is that the clutch slave cylinder should have been replaced as part of the recall it had a couple of years ago but it wasn't and now the cylinder and the clutch need replacing because it's leaked all over the clutch and damaged it

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - KJP 123

I think that this recall was late 2018 and maybe only diesel. Did you own the car then?

Yes - owned car from 2017

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Bromptonaut

IF the clutch fails out of warranty then, unless dealer or manufacturer show goodwill, you're on a sticky wicket.

On the other hand if all work has been at the dealership and they failed to carry out a recall involving the clutch slave cylinder correctly you may be on firmer ground.

Citizens Advice or other organisation may be able to help or provide pro-bono (ie free) access to legal advice.

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Xileno

"Were you advised that the job would be chargeable to yourselves? Did you authorise the dealer to proceed with the repairs & did they give any idea of the cost.?"

As you've replied 'yes' to all three then I can't see that you have any other option but the settle the bill for now and investigate any legal position later.

Vauxhall just phoned back. They say they can't help me because the mileage is too high on my car. He even agreed with me that this is a common fault but said they can't help because of the mileage. I told him I was disgusted that they can't help me for something that is a known manufacturer fault and that I have been a loyal customer for years and the one time I come to them for help they deny it. Very poor customer service. the dealership have just phoned me to say it's ready as well so I'm going to have to pay for it and then try and keep pestering Vauxhall for reimbursement

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - elekie&a/c doctor
How many miles is too high ?
Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - bathtub tom
How many miles is too high ?

I suspect it's whatever the OP has done.

79k-

For god's sake! Steering rack feels loose now - was absolutely fine when I took it in

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Brit_in_Germany

If the car was defective when bought then there is potential for a claim under the consumer rights act. After you have paid, you can try taking the supplying dealer to court under the small claims procedure.

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Bromptonaut

If the car was defective when bought then there is potential for a claim under the consumer rights act. After you have paid, you can try taking the supplying dealer to court under the small claims procedure.

My thought as already expressed is that all Vauxhall might offer is goodwill. They have no legal liability in all of this.

The supplying dealer or, as I think the OP suggests a dealer who failed to carry out clutch recall work correctly, would be directly in the frame.

EDIT: Information on recall suggests that a problem initially manifesting itself as brake weakness may require replacement of multiple hydraulic components in both brake and clutch systems. I assume the brake and clutch hydraulics are interlinked which may explain why the OP first noticed a warning light and the garage supplying a courtesy car on safety grounds.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 31/12/2021 at 15:23

If the steering rack feels loose , then don’t drive it . It’s possible that it’s not been bolted back correctly after the subframe has been removed for clutch job . Phone the dealer and tell them to collect the car as it’s unsafe to drive .
Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Xileno

Given that legal action against the dealer might be on the cards and a suggestion of the car being returned to the customer in a potentially unsafe state, I've decided to anonymise the thread. Removing the dealer name does not alter the quality of the replies given by members.

No problem

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - Simon

If you've owned the car from pretty much new, have you had it dealer serviced on schedule during that time? This would strengthen your case if so.

Vauxhall Astra (67 plate) - Recurring clutch problem ( started within warranty - thunderbird

In an earlier post it was stated that

EDIT: Information on recall suggests that a problem initially manifesting itself as brake weakness may require replacement of multiple hydraulic components in both brake and clutch systems

The important word in there is MAY which suggests to me that the problem would not have affected all cars.

But why don't you contact the DVSA (I think its them) who deal with safety recalls and find out which components were affected. If the car was recalled and the work was not done correctly any case you take to court would surely have the backing of the authorities since the garage allowed a potentially unsafe car back on the road.

Yes.