Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - Meteiro

My wife's automatic 1.2 2015 308 is experiencing a strange revving / stalling issue.

The engine is revving up slightly or bogging down whilst driving, particularly under 35 mph. Then at very low speeds it has on a couple of occasions stalled (reverse parking for example). I didn't even know stalling an auto was possible!

It has been back to the garage, who found a faulty upstream oxygen sensor and replaced it, but it seems to have only made the problem worse. It'll go back in next week, but any ideas what might be causing it so I can hopefully make this my last trip in?

Many thanks in advance!

(Edit: No problem - moved to Technical.)

Edited by Avant on 08/04/2018 at 18:18

Firstly sincere apologies as I see I've now put this on the wrong part of the forum.

Update: the issue was a rich fuel mix. Now corrected, fault cleared and a long run and (touch wood...) the problem seems to have disappeared!

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - Graham567

What did they do to correct it?

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - nick62

Our petrol 306 (manual) would rev-up on its own. I traced it to a faulty engine water temperature sensor. Replacement was about £10 from memory (it's a long time ago).

The sensor would intermittently give a reading which represented a cold engine and the ECU responded by richening the mixture causing the engine to rev.

For some obscure reason Peugeot fitted three temperature sensors on the 306, one for the ECU mixture (as above), one for the cooling fan control and one for (I think) the temperature gauge?

It looks like when they changed the oxygen sensor they hadn't cleared a pending fault code for a rich fuel mix.

Not mechanically minded enough to work it all through, but clearing that seems to have solved the problem. Fingers crossed.

Update: Issue has recurred. They have updated ECU software today and sent me on my way to try it out and issue has recurred. It'll be going back in on Fridar for in depth investigation (third attempt...)

Wondering whether it could be related to the stop / start system?

Vehicle kept over weekend, they're stumped. Gut feel the dealer is more computer based diagnostics than old fashioned process of elimination.

Fingers crossed for better news next week. Once returned and fixed will post up the cause in the hope it might help someone else.

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - madf

For some obscure reason Peugeot fitted three temperature sensors on the 306, one for the ECU mixture (as above), one for the cooling fan control and one for (I think) the temperature gauge?

Most makers do.. They are reading temperatures in different parts of the cooling system for different pruposes and with different characteristics required..

The dealer has received request from Peugeot to replace the fuel tank as a way to fix this issue. Bizarre, but now that it has been done things do seem to be better. Fingers crossed that's an end to it!

Fun and games continue! Engine fault (unknown) stopped the car on a hard shoulder and it had to be recovered. Back with the dealer till next week as fault tracking continues...

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - sparky_190

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? My 308 1.2 auto is doing something very similar and currently in with Peugeot for investigation.

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - Brian3373

Did you get this resolved?

My 2016 308 puretech auto has the issues of stalling, occasional rich running when petrol tank over half a tank.

Peugeot want to replace tank & petrol absorber.

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - Brian3373

Had work completed, new tank and petrol absorber(charcoal canister) so far after 4 or so days with short trips all seems resolved.

Will post if anything changes.

Peugeot 308 - Auto petrol intermittent erratic revving / stall - nick62

Most makers do.. They are reading temperatures in different parts of the cooling system for different pruposes and with different characteristics required..

All three are within 2" of each other in the thermostat housing (maybe one was on the other side of the thermostat though)?