Changing the clocks - galileo

Around this time of year someone usually brings up an argument that we should use BST (British Summer Time) all year round.

Geography means that at locations further West than Greenwich, sunrise and sunset are later than GMT (Greenwich Men Time) and locations further North have shorter hours of daylight in winter.

Those suggesting this change are mostly living/working in the South East and I suspect are under the age of about 50 years.

They don't remember that Harold Wilson had a trial of this from October 1968 to October 1971, when the trial was ended on a free vote in Parliament.

Many people living and working in the North and West remember this being commonly described as B----y Silly Time, as they seldom saw daylight during the working week from October to March.

RoSpa trot out the argument that accidents increase by 8% when the clocks go back. Logic says that there must be an 8% reduction in Spring when the clocks go forward, but I have never heard them say so (I wonder why?).

Computers, modern central heating timers, radio controlled clocks and watches adjust automatically, so it is a simpler change now than in 1971.

Claiming it would ease communication with Europe is hardly valid, I have worked for two companies with headquarters in the USA and dealt on a daily basis with European companies, we had no problems communication across the time zones.

I will await comments with interest.

Changing the clocks - gordonbennet

I don't care which they use, summer or whatever, just choose one and leave it that permanently.

Didn't know about the change last night, set my second alarm as i always do 20 mins later than my primary alarm (in case i go back to sleep), second is a standard battery alarm clock not radio set, yes it went off first and i presumed the primary alarm had conked out, took a while to realise what had happened, thought i was going to be late for work, something i pride myself on never being, s'alright now.

Have reset one car, got to do the other one and my watches, one of which a solar powered Citizen chrono is so complicated i have to read the manual how to set the blinking time.

Changing the clocks - Bolt

I don't care which they use, summer or whatever, just choose one and leave it that permanently.

I dont understand why they don`t do that, it was mentioned they would do it several years ago but still waiting and changing times

I bought a Citizen from Florida many moons ago, most expensive watch I have ever bought, loses 5 mins a day, they did try fix it but still the same, so using £12 cheapo watch- changes time on its own and is very accurate timewise

Changing the clocks - Avant

In theory it would be great not to have to change the clocks: but it's difficult to see any alternative that works.

I well remember the experiment in the late 60s - even in the south of England, in winter it wasn't properly light until 9 am. The so-called experts went on about reducing accidents particularly for schoolchildren - but most of them come out in daylight even in mid-winter, whereas with permanent BST they went to school in the dark. Children are generally even more dozy in the early morning than they are in the afternoon.

One would hope that even this government wouldn't be stupid enough to try it again... but all it takes is for one god-forsaken scientist to whisper in Boris's ear. If they did, it would result in a huge majority of Scots in favour of independence.

Go back to permanent GMT? I suppose you could, but it would mean a lot more waking hours spent in darkness.

Edited by Avant on 25/10/2020 at 18:51

Changing the clocks - Bromptonaut

In theory it would be great not to have to change the clocks: but it's difficult to see any alternative that works.

Pretty much that.

The difference between Felixstowe and Penzance isn't the issue, it's the way our latitude affects day length.

During the 68/71 experiment I was at Primary School in the north of England. In December and January we travelled to school in the dark and it was dark on the playground until after we went in for registration and assembly. Reflective armbands were issued for the journey to school for those doing it on foot. I honestly don't know whether dozy kids in the morning dark or skylarking lads in the dark are at most risk.

Permanent GMT+1 would mean that in Northern Scotland it wouldn't be light until gone ten. Even in the Central Belt it'd be gloomy until 09:30.

And in the summer even on S of England we'd be trying to sleep in broad daylight at gone 10pm.

Twenty years ago I'd have spent half an hour going round the house with my radio controlled alarm as a time base putting clocks back. Only minor gain that they were corrected for time lost/gained since the Spring.

Today I've only had to re-set the cars and a couple of old Sony travel radios. Everything else sorts itself.

Changing the clocks - Engineer Andy

Having spent many a summer holiday in the South West, I can vouch for the significant differences in sun up/down to the East/South East back home.

If I recall, there was something very odd before GMT was established where 'local time' was used in the UK and passengers and staff travelling on trains (this was 19th Century I think) had to keep changing their watches and clock as they travelled along a longer route.

Best to stick with what we've already got. No reason why the working day in some regions can't be altered to suite the best daylight hours available though.

I did have to spend about 15-20 mins changing a few clocks - mainly those on equipment that isn't less than 5 years old - car, hifis, microwave, oven, even my radio-controlled clock didn't this time (interference possibly). At least all the computers and phones (bar my 17 old Nokia 3410) changed automatically, as did my 1yo boiler system.

Changing the clocks - concrete

During the experiment I was in my fourth year of apprenticeship. Working on site was no joke. We did not have the superb work lights they have today, we had Tilly lamps! The workshop was fine and well lit but site work was more difficult. I too think the time we choose should be permanent. The heating timer, car and other things self correct but it is still a pain doing the odd clocks etc that don't.

We did a job in Shetland a few years ago in July and I was there for a week or so. It was really weird trying to sleep in daylight, Even at 3am it was only dusk! Couldn't cope with that.

Cheers Concrete

Changing the clocks - Engineer Andy

Sleep mask? Never used one myself though.

We did a job in Shetland a few years ago in July and I was there for a week or so. It was really weird trying to sleep in daylight, Even at 3am it was only dusk! Couldn't cope with that.

We've holidayed on the Western Isles on a regular basis since the eighties. The quality of the light, even on an off day, is fantastic.

The difference between sunrise/sunset on the east coast and in west Cornwall is about 30 minutes year round; the day length is broadly similar. I think Andy is right, it was the needs of the railway that led to 'standard time' based on Greenwich being adopted. Before that local noon was the determinant and Bristol time was different to London.

Still got clocks on ovens/microwave to alter. Need to dig out the instructions. Cars were easy enough as the Berlingo allows +/- adjustment and the Fabia has a 'Daylight Saving Time' adjustment in it's menu for date/time.

I've found radio controlled clocks a bit more temperamental in recent years. I suspect this is down to the closure of the Rugby Radio site, which I could see from just up the road, and the transmitter's relocation to Anthorn on the Solway Estuary.

Changing the clocks - Andrew-T

If I recall, there was something very odd before GMT was established where 'local time' was used in the UK and passengers and staff travelling on trains (this was 19th Century I think) had to keep changing their watches and clock as they travelled along a longer route.

The spread of railways in the mid-19th-C made it necessary to standardise national time - till then every town or village worked to the church clock or sundial. It made no sense for trains which worked to a public timetable to visit places on different time systems.

Changing the clocks - madf

I was a student in Aberdeen when the 1960s experiment was in place.

IT WAS AWFUL.

No sunlight till 10am... the psychological impact of getting up and going to lectures in the dark was not something I would like to recall. (I studied Maths and Physics so has a lot of lectures)

100% SNP vote if it was tried again...