SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - David Robinsdon

Purchased a 2014 SEAT Leon ST on 19/02, vehicle was listed as having Air Conditioning on the advert.

Driving back from Bristol to Newport, Wales, I noted that the car was only blowing warm air. As the car is a 2014 model I assumed that it needed to have the AirCon re-gassed and booked it in with a local garage.

Turns out that the AirCon is broken and I will need to replace the compressor, belt and likely an air flap motor.

Spoke with the dealer and advised that I need it repaired as only a week old and they did not mention that the AirCon did not work.

Dealers attitude is that I negotiated a £300 discount on their sticker price so I should just use that saved money against the repair works and suck it up. I do not accept this position.

We've gone back and fore and I have now mentioned that I would like to use my right to reject. Dealer has advised that they will accept the car back, but will deduct £0.45 a mile and charge me a weekly rental.

My understanding of the law is that I am able to charge them for costs incurred in relation to buying the car and having to return it, but I do have to pay them for the mileage, although the £0.45 seems on the extreme high end to me so I will have to fight that.

So, my question. As far as I can tell I will not have to pay them a weekly rental, I cannot find mention of that anywhere in the Consumer Rights Act. But I do have to pay the mileage. When all is said and done I will then have to take them to court to get back any of the other associated costs and this weekly rental which they are illegally charging me.

On the basis that I have to take them to court anyway am I within my rights to simply get the AirCon fixed and take them to court for the costs of the repair on the basis that they have refused to rectify the issue and are effectively forcing me to take them to court?

Edited by David Robinsdon on 01/03/2022 at 13:03

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Palcouk

o.45p per mile is HMRC rate, and you will be liable for that and nothing else

You cannot charge them for anything

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - RT

The 45 p/mile HMRC rate includes the cost of fuel - unless the dealer paid for the fuel the rate charged should be lower than HMRC rate.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - David Robinsdon

They gave me, at most, a fifth of a tank of fuel. I've done around 150 miles in total and had refuelled the car when I got it home. So it's sat there with an almost full tank of fuel.

I thought the act states that I am able to charge back reasonable costs associated. For example I took out insurance, breakdown cover, etc. All of which I will only get a partial refund on. As it is their fault that the car is being returned, because they refuse to fix the Air Con which was a advertised feature, surely I can claim that back?

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Brit_in_Germany

The seller can only charge for mileage for a rejection after the initial 30 day period.

www.themotorombudsman.org/knowledge-base/what-are-...r

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Andrew-T

The car is approaching 8 years old. You need to find out what it might cost to fix the problem, and compare that with the cost and probable hassle of returning the car and potential associated legal cost, and then the business of finding another car. Then decide the way forward.

I'm not sure how essential a working aircon is to the fitness for purpose of an 8-year-old car, as bought from a trader.

The cost to fix the problem is about £500. Of course for them it would be cheaper as the'd get trade price and claim back VAT.

I was planning to pursue this under the not of satisfactory quality angle, especially as they advertised the car as having Air Conditioning.

I get the feeling they do this to a lot of people and hope that most will not go through the hassle or expense of taking them to court for £500, but it's not right that they can just get away with it.

I was planning to pursue this under the not of satisfactory quality angle, especially as they advertised the car as having Air Conditioning.

I suspect that when you read a trader's description, it will probably have been copied from a source of specs for standard car models - rather than being a statement of what has been found working on the car you bought ?

That's almost certainly correct. But it'd be like selling a television that has a satellite port and then you find out that the tv works, but the port doesn't.

People may well be different, but to my mind if you advertise a feature that feature should work.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Brit_in_Germany

There is no reason why an 8 yearold car should not have a working a/c system. Our 11 year old S Max still gave out cold air when we got rid of it, with no refills or repairs during that time.

*** Update *** I've decided to just bite the bullet and return the car at £0.45 a mile. I've only done 200 miles so the cost is nominal. Yes, I'll lose £60 worth of fuel too, but at least I have then washed my hands of the deal.

I take some small comfort in knowing that the dealer will lose a lot more than me for their foolishness. They will now have to clean it, re-list it and sell it. Considering there has now been another owner and they really should either fix or declare the Air Conditioning as broken I cannot see how they will not lose money on this. Absolute madness.

I take some small comfort in knowing that the dealer will lose a lot more than me for their foolishness. They will now have to clean it, re-list it and sell it. Considering there has now been another owner and they really should either fix or declare the Air Conditioning as broken I cannot see how they will not lose money on this. Absolute madness.

If prices are still rising (as is often reported here) it may even be worth that dealer's while for you to do as planned. They may even feel that you got a bargain :-) Meanwhile you are back at square one.

I've already found the exact same make and model with 20K less miles for just £200 more. So from my point of view I'll lose around £150 on the car sending it back and will then lose another £200.

But £350 is still less than £500 and at the end of the day it's the right thing to do too. Who knows how many people this guy pushes around expecting them to just fold.

But £350 is still less than £500 and at the end of the day it's the right thing to do too. Who knows how many people this guy pushes around expecting them to just fold.

Since you are only talking about a couple of tanksful of fuel, it's your choice, and it will mainly be a matter of principle. I wonder what might be non-op in this second vehicle ? :-)

As you say, a this point, seeing as I am going to lose anyway, I might as well go and stand up for the principle.

Always a chance I could get burned twice. At the end of the day I accept that items on a used car are going to wear out and fail. Obviously I am going to have to replace parts as time goes on, what I do not accept is the car being sold without a key component working without forewarning and discussion, and to me the Air Con is an expensive and key component.

Perhaps you feel differently though? Happy to hear your thoughts.

Always a chance I could get burned twice. At the end of the day I accept that items on a used car are going to wear out and fail. Obviously I am going to have to replace parts as time goes on, what I do not accept is the car being sold without a key component working without forewarning and discussion, and to me the Air Con is an expensive and key component.

It seems that when you drove the car from the dealership you didn't realise the aircon was faulty ? I think it is equally likely the seller didn't either, as I would be surprised to find one who would test everything before sale. That's why buyers take cars back, complain and ask for rectification. Probably only the previous owner knew, and he/she is unlikely to have let on.

But this car is about 8 years old, and if you decided that it was an acceptable buy after knocking £300 off the price, I would (in your position) have tried to get the dealer to play ball, and probably grumble when he didn't. The car is otherwise roadworthy and the ££ involved is not exorbitant. Cars well into middle age may need some outlay if you want to restore them to 100% working order.

Principles can cost ! :-)

Perhaps I was not clear, I've been trying for about two weeks to get the dealer to fix the Air Conditioning. The dealer has refused point blank to do so on numerous occasions.

I assumed as driving back that the Air Conditioning needed to be re-gassed and took it at my own expense to an independent garage to get this carried out. Following testing they gave a detailed report showing that the compressor is broken and that there is also an issue with the air flap system that allows the air to circulate. The cost of repair is at least £500, if they cannot make the air flaps work again add on another £150-200.

I paid just under market average for the car, a £500-700 repair takes it out of fair/good price into overpaying.

The time for the dealer to do the right thing and repair the issue was when they were informed, they've also had the option on numerous occasions (6 and counting) to step up and correct this. Yet they throw imaginary costs at me in an attempt to make me back down and just swallow the cost myself.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that they do this type of thing to a lot of people and assume that most people will not go through the hassle or expensive to challenge them. I suppose that when it comes down to it, if they assume I am one of those people, they are greatly mistaken.

Edited by David Robinsdon on 02/03/2022 at 19:26

I could be wrong, but I suspect that they do this type of thing to a lot of people and assume that most people will not go through the hassle or expensive to challenge them. I suppose that when it comes down to it, if they assume I am one of those people, they are greatly mistaken.

You could well be right, as plenty of people on here have few good words in favour of car traders. Sadly that's all part of the Real World, so disgruntled buyers have to either live with that and pay to have problems fixed, or suffer weeks or months of aggro getting nowhere, possibly even spending money on lawyers.

Just be thankful you aren't living in Ukraine ... :-)

I agree. I'm sure that most dealers out there are probably honest. And yes, my problems are nothing compared to those poor souls in Ukraine!

They've now refused to take the car back as they are back to insisting I have to pay them a weekly rental charge. So it's off to the courts seeing as I have to take them to court either way.

Such an unnecessary pain in the bottom.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - joegrundy

You don't mention whether you bought the car on finance. If you used HP/PCP bear in mind that your contract is with the finance company, not the dealer, and your consumer rights are enforceable against them. You need to give your 30 day rejection notice to them.

If a credit card was involved, s.75 may also apply.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - joegrundy

You might find this useful: www.businesscompanion.info/sites/default/files/Car...f

That's an interesting document, and also a tad worrying.

"Where a customer is offered a refund after one or more failed repairs (or replacements) you may be able to make a ‘deduction for use’ from the refund."

As it happens they have not once made any offer to correct the fault, so I believe they cannot charge me this. But does make things less cut and dry when I go to the courts.

If I'm lucky they will receive the court summons letter and then decide to settle, shall have to see.

I've asked for either a full refund (subject to the deducting the cost for miles used) or that they pay to repair the Air Con. So far they have ignored the final letter before court proceedings, so I assume it will have to go to court.

I paid cash, the dealer wouldn't take credit card due to the fees.

Even more worrying. What kind of trader was it ?

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Crickleymal

I've had a dealer refuse cash and only accept credit card or bank draft due to money laundering rules.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Xileno

Seeing as legal action may be on the cards plus a suggestion of underhand business practices, I've removed the post identifying the dealer concerned.

Update -

Total repairs came to £921, so certainly not insignificant.

I have now begun the small claims court process, the dealer has completely refused up until this point to make any contribution whatsoever to the costs and maintained their right to charge me a weekly rental figure, an amount of which they have never specified.

Ultimately they left me with no choice but to either suck up the cost or take them to court. Shall see what happens now, hopefully I get a sympathetic judge whenever the court date actually happens.

Final update - Had my day in court at long last. Judge ripped the dealer apart, all money and court fees owed to me by the dealer within the next 14 days.

If anyone else gets messed around like I did don't take them to court, they need to be held accountable.

Had my day in court at long last. Judge ripped the dealer apart, all money and court fees owed to me by the dealer within the next 14 days.

Let us know when/if the cash rolls in .... :-(

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - focussed

Had my day in court at long last. Judge ripped the dealer apart, all money and court fees owed to me by the dealer within the next 14 days.

Let us know when/if the cash rolls in .... :-(

If it doesn't turn up within the 14 day period consider taking out a third party debt order which freezes the debtor's bank account.

EX325 - Third party debt orders and charging orders - GOV.UK

Edited by focussed on 16/09/2022 at 00:21

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Bromptonaut

If it doesn't turn up within the 14 day period consider taking out a third party debt order which freezes the debtor's bank account.

EX325 - Third party debt orders and charging orders - GOV.UK

That would be my suggestion too. He may have stock or equipment a bailiff could seize but high probability it's on finance or similar.

Sadly they have proven to be more stupid that I imagined they'd be. They keep saying they've not received the court order, the court confirms they have not had their letter back.

I sent them a scanned copy and pointed out they could call the court to confirm should they so wish, but nope, they won't pay.

So I've just taken out a EX322 order. They currently have 22 cars on their lot (according to auto trader), a few laptops, etc, so it seemed the logical choice.

I really can't understand why they want a further amount of money added to their debt, but there you go.

Edited by David Robinsdon on 01/10/2022 at 21:19

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - skidpan

So I've just taken out a EX322 order. They currently have 22 cars on their lot (according to auto trader), a few laptops, etc, so it seemed the logical choice.

If the trader is a company and the property, car on the lot and the laptops are not owned by the company you will still get nothing.

The trader will be well aware what to do to avoid paying up, if necessary they will wind up the company and reappear a few days later on another lot with the same cars under a different name.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Bromptonaut

If the trader is a company and the property, car on the lot and the laptops are not owned by the company you will still get nothing.

Which is what I suggested a fortnight ago endorsing another poster's suggestion of going for their bank account. However, noting that the original transaction was cash the OP may not have that detail.

Unfortunately you were correct, they are claiming that another T/AS Company owns the cars on the lot.

I'm hitting a brick wall here, the company that I bought from, also a T/AS, does not appear to be listed on Companies House (well, at least not at that address or anywhere else with that name) and I cannot find a company listed for the address that they are in. I've just learned that sole traders do not need to register with companies house, so I'm guessing this is the route they have gone.

The Bailiffs have been useless in so far as they will not communicate with me at all despite 11 phone calls to their provided mobile number and numerous messages. All I have to go on is that they turned up to the company, they note all the banners and signs confirming it is the right place and that said company claimed the warrant was not valid because another company owns the stock.

At this point I'm guessing I have lost the money. I can't locate the company on companies house, so have no chance of getting the director details to try and go for them personally or for finding the details of the company they claim owns the car to change the warrant for that.

Edited by David Robinsdon on 18/11/2022 at 08:06

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Mary Middleton

I am sorry this has happened to you.

Do you have an invoice for the original purchase?

The 'trading as' name is not significant, the seller will be either a sole trader, a partnership or a limited company.

If you do have an invoice, check out the requirements and perhaps you can ID the person behind this racket. Hope this helps:

www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-custo...e

Hi All,

Thanks for the interest. I do have the original receipt, all nice and professional. However they did not charge VAT and there are no VAT Details on said receipt.

They are on Auto-Trader and, according to their site, an AA Trusted Dealer. But so far neither the AA or Auto-Trader have been willing to engage with me and supply any details either.

I'm not sure I am allowed to post the name of the organisation here, otherwise I would.

Edited by David Robinsdon on 20/11/2022 at 09:53

When / if you finally decide to draw a line under all this, we would be interested to know whether you think your effort has been worth while - financially, emotionally or mechanically ?

Don't give up yet -

Presumably you got an invoice for the car from this bunch of shytes, which should show the vat you paid when you bought the car.

The invoice must show the VAT number of the trader, whether a ltd company, a sole trader or sole traders in partnership - it's not optional they have to show it by law. and they must also have displayed in a prominent position the details of the business ie the trader or partner's names and the details of their employers liability insurance.

If the business is owned by sole traders(s) they are personally liable for any and all business debts.

If there is no vat number on the invoice, and you have been charged VAT that is against the law. Go to HMRC and report them.

If there is a vat number use it to check who or what company registered the business for VAT, they shouldn't be able to wriggle out of that one, somebody should have registered it.

www.gov.uk/check-uk-vat-number

If the vat number on their paperwork isn't registered.

graydon.co.uk/resources/blog/risk-management/fraud...t

Again report them to HMRC's hotline.

It might be a good idea to phone or email them first giving them the choice of paying your bill or having an HMRC VAT investigation.

Edited by focussed on 19/11/2022 at 01:37

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Mary Middleton

Don't give up yet -

focussed is right, don’t give up. Assuming, because you can’t find a limited company registration, the business(es) are run as sole trader/partnerships, it is indeed possible to adopt multiple trading names and run them as separate businesses.

Accordingly the vehicle stock may indeed be on the balance sheet of a business using a trading name different from the one from which you bought your vehicle. Each business may produce a separate set of accounts. However, the sole trader/partners behind the T/AS names are personally liable for losses across all the businesses they operate. So unless the vehicle stock belongs to a T/AS business owned by a different trader (family member perhaps) then it is an asset of the trader who sold your vehicle and can be distrained.

So because you already have a court order, the important thing is to direct recovery proceedings against the individual(s) named on the order, and at the right location. Personal liability means their personal property can be distrained, not just the property of the business, and the possibility of losing their 60” telly or their smartphone may be persuasive. It is only directors of limited companies whose personal liability is limited to the value of their shares, and who can dissolve a company and set up a new one. Sole traders/partners can be made personally bankrupt. Having an undischarged CCJ is very damaging to credit ratings.

If you have the time/energy to pursue any VAT infringements that could indeed give you more leverage however VAT criminal offences are separate from civil consumer law proceedings, and HMRC are always preferential creditors (get first dibs) in any bankruptcy/business winding-up.

By all means let the trader know if you find any infringement and mention a VAT investigation (I've managed a few of these for clients and they are very exhaustive, to be avoided if possible), but better to get your money before HMRC gets involved!

Best of luck.

Yes, the judge did mention to me in court that I might need to get the order changed to go after an individual.

But there seems no way of tracking them down. They are not on companies house, the bailiff won't answer my calls and the other avenues I've tried such as the AA and Autotrader refuse point blank to give me any info.

Most frustrating to be in the right, have a judge agree and yet still not be able to do anything.

Edited by David Robinsdon on 20/11/2022 at 09:53

"But there seems no way of tracking them down."

OK, let's go back a step. Do you have an invoice from when you bought the car?

Yes, but there is no VAT number, or alternate address, etc, on it.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Adampr

Do you know the proprietor's name?

Do you know the proprietor's name?

That was my next question, Adampr!

OP says he has a receipt, that is not the same as an invoice, and a sole trader invoice should show the trader's name, as in this extract from the .gov.uk website:

Sole trader invoices

If you’re a sole trader, the invoice must also include:

• your name and any business name being used
  • an address where any legal documents can be delivered to you if you are using a business name

The document they gave me is marked as a Car Sales Invoice, but none of those details are present.

The document they gave me is marked as a Car Sales Invoice, but none of those details are present

OK, so the business name on the invoice is a T/AS name? And the address on it is where the court order was served? And they say they never received the court order at that address, is that right?

Potentially, yes. In the court listing they logged an email address that started "robrichards" Although one person identified themselves as Mitchell and another as Taylor.

The robrichards email address is the only name that has a surname.

Going back to when you got the judgement against the company/individual. partnership that sold you the car, who or what was the judgement registered against?Company name, sole trader's name, partner's names etc?

Presumably there was some sort of official court document detailing the judgement?

Unfortunately not. The Court judgement is against the company (deleted).

When I filled out the request for a court hearing I supplied the details as part of my forms, no alternate address or information was supplied apart from an email address.

On no documentation from them, via the court or their original invoice/documentation with me, are any details whatsoever that will allow me to track them.

There are no details on their site, they are not on Companies House and I cannot find any details such as the VAT number via a google search.

Edited by Xileno on 21/11/2022 at 21:09

"On no documentation from them, via the court or their original invoice/documentation with me, are any details whatsoever that will allow me to track them."

I would take the invoice to Trading Standards, via the CAB. It's an invalid invoice according HMRC's stated legal requirements, however HMRC will probably not be interested as there's no VAT involved. But because the missing info is preventing you from getting the court order paid, Trading Standards may take up the case.

I'm assuming you don't have legal expenses as part of your motor policy or you would have put the case into the hands of a solicitor in the first place. And maybe for the future, don't buy anything substantial that isn't paid for by credit card. You have been given the fees as an excuse for demanding cash, in reality the dealer probably knows about S75 claims by credit card companies which would have bounced back to them.

The other thing I would do, if this happened to me, is complain to the AA. You say they are listed as a 'Trusted Dealer', AA have an 'Approved Dealer' status, if that's what they are calling themselves then I would make the AA aware of their trading methods and see if they will help. They have a Code of Practice and under S3.13 promise that consumer rights will be honoured. Your complaint falls under 'not as described'.

www.theaa.com/cars/pdf/aa_dealer_promise_code_of_p...f

Finally, there are numerous recovery agents who would, for a fee, chase this debt. They have superior tracing facilities and are used to this sort of smoke & mirrors. I understand that paying would go against the grain but in this case, when you came so close to giving up, maybe some money back is better than no money back. They tend to operate on no-recovery, no fee, so nothing to lose if they don't succeed.

I hope you get a win!

"however HMRC will probably not be interested as there's no VAT involved"

If you are buying a used car from a dealer, then he or she will need to pay VAT on any profit made. This is known as the second-hand VAT margin scheme. However, the amount of VAT will not be itemised on the invoice and is of no concern to the buyer unless the buyer is a business.

"however HMRC will probably not be interested as there's no VAT involved"

If you are buying a used car from a dealer, then he or she will need to pay VAT on any profit made. This is known as the second-hand VAT margin scheme. However, the amount of VAT will not be itemised on the invoice and is of no concern to the buyer unless the buyer is a business.

I think that's only true if the dealer is VAT registered? OP says no VAT number on the invoice, implying no VAT registration

I used to work the margin scheme for a saddler and no VAT was involved until the business exceeded the registration limit, however I note there is new guidance on the margin scheme from HMRC this year so perhaps I'm out of date

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - galileo

Unfortunately you were correct, they are claiming that another T/AS Company owns the cars on the lot.

The Bailiffs have been useless in so far as they will not communicate with me at all despite 11 phone calls to their provided mobile number and numerous messages. All I have to go on is that they turned up to the company, they note all the banners and signs confirming it is the right place and that said company claimed the warrant was not valid because another company owns the stock.

At this point I'm guessing I have lost the money. I can't locate the company on companies house, so have no chance of getting the director details to try and go for them personally or for finding the details of the company they claim owns the car to change the warrant for that.

You could hope that another dissatisfied customer posts this crook's details on one of the social media sites favoured by "Just stop oil" with suitable promptings that he deserves their attention.

As a responsible forum member I know you would not stoop to such tactics.

SEAT Leon ST - Within 30 days right to reject, dealer refusing to - Xileno

Although the court case has gone against the dealer, I've removed the garage name to prevent HJ getting caught up in the middle any potential dispute. Even when in the right this could take time to deflect and it's a risk not worth taking.

If anyone should want to know the name of the garage based in the South then I am prepared to forward emails on to the OP who may then agree to let them know the name in private email.

Mod