FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - Dewan

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver

I bought a car registration number FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver date 02.03.2022 from Gumtree.

The seller gave me a logbook on January 10 2022 and not February 21, 2022, logbook, l believe this was a deliberately fraudulent act.

I have Video Footage: The person who sold me the car is clearly seen on a video outside my home when he delivered the vehicle to me.

HPI report shows the car owner's logbook on January 10, 2022, and the logbook issued on February 21, 2022, is unexplained. HPI also reports that this car spent some time at motor traders.

When I discovered the theft I was very suspicious and I asked my brother-law to answer the same advertisement (Gumtree advertisement) that I had used to purchase the car, on doing so he spoke to the same seller regarding the same car which he (The seller) said was still available for sale which unmistakably suggests seller planned to steal the money and retain possession of the car.

I contacted the police who tracked down the car. However, the owner denied he had sold the car, saying he put it up for sale, a man came to view the car but didn’t buy it but strangely the man took a picture of the logbook.

I will be appreciated on advice.

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - Adampr

So who has the car?

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - Dewan

With seller.

Car stolen. Registration FG70DHD

Toyota C-HR Excel HEV CVT, Silver

Police reference: 2705268/22

• Car advertise on Gumtree Edgbaston, West Midlands. Ad ID: 1426637208

• Communication with the seller via text message date 27.02.2022 regarding the car

• After discussion and relevant check (HPI, DVLA and others) seller agree to drop the car at my address date March 02. 2022.

• Paid bank transfer of £50 for fuel cost from Birmingham to London and interest of buyers.

• I checked the car and other staff and test derived. Then paid the seller £9950 cash.

• Seller gave me a car with 2 full working keys, service book and new keeper slip (date 10.01.2022) and sign sales invoice

• I was parked the car outside my address. The morning I saw the car was missing.

• I report the police date March 03, 2022

• Stolen theft marker against vehicle FG70 DHD on March 04, 2022 however this was then removed on March 17, 2022

• The seller denied he had sold the car

• I have Video Footage: The person who sold me the car is clearly seen on a video outside my home when he delivered the vehicle to me.

• Seller have 2 Logbook V5C

1. Date 10.01.2022 V5C seller acquired the vehicle (HPI report informed this seller is Current keeper)

2. Date 21.02.2022 V5C DVLA issue again (Unconfirmed)

3. Vehicle FG70 DHD spent at a registered MOTOR TRADE (HPI report informed)

Please advise me. Thanks

Enclosed documents:

1. Video footage (seller and the car)

2. HPI report (3 pages)

3. Communication with the seller (8 pages)

4. Car Sales invoice sign by seller (2 pages)

5. New keeper slip and Logbook V5C on 10.01.2022 (4 pages)

6. V62 form

7. Car advertisement on Gumtree (2 pages)

8. Car pictures (3 pictures)

9. car keys pictures (3 pictures)

10. Car service record (3 pages)

11. DVLA report (5 pages)

12. Car is stolen police report

13. £50 bank transfer

14. Reported to MP

15. Information match with V5C Logbook (10.01.2022) vs HPI report VS DVLA vehicle details VS Car service record book

16. Communication with DVLA regarding V5C Logbook

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - Adampr

Claim on your insurance and against HPI.

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - sammy1

£9950 plus £50 seems extremely cheap for this car unless it was a CAT car even then cheap. As above can only claim on the insurance, hope it was insured? and HPI. You could try stealing it back. Do you have a key or was it sold with only one hence the seller was able to get it back?

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - Xileno

I'm struggling to get my mind around this. So you reported to the Police that the car had been stolen and the seller denied they had sold it. But you were in possession of the keys, service book, new keeper slip and sales invoice. What was the Police response to that?

The car is about half price - that would have caused me to walk. No, run.

I think the story is that there were two logbooks or something. The car doesn't show up on the .gov search and a Google shows that it mainly features on the pistonheads forum with equal levels of consternation. Someone there managed to dig up photos from the ad, so there is a grain of truth here, but something weird is going on.

FG70 DHD, Toyota C-HR Excel, Silver - Seller has stolen my car and gave wrong v5c part - SLO76
“ £9950 plus £50 seems extremely cheap for this car”

Bingo. I often see cars advertised at silly low prices which are quite clearly a scam of some sort. The norm was to hoover a deposit over the phone then disappear. They take £50/£100 off a few dozen people for a car that usually isn’t in the scammers possession. It’s taking advantage of the greed of the public. No way, noooo way would anyone sell a 70 plate Toyota C-HR for £10k. If the price is ludicrously low and wholly unrealistic then you know it’s a scam. Sorry.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/07/2022 at 14:01

Totally agree. However, actually turning up with the car and handing it over is a new level.