Nissan Note - Bought used car from trader with numerous issues - M123321
Hi everyone
Looking for some advice in my situation
I’ve bought a used car 14 days ago from business seller based on advert on Autotrader. Seller has status Trader not a Private. Advert was clear - “car has no faults, no problem”. Paid deposit to secure the car, arrived to check and pick up few hours later. I was offered to check a car, which I’ve made, but it was not possible to have a look underneath the car as seller do not have such facilities . I’ve checked - 4 wheels in place, engine is working, car model is a same as advertised
Based on advert, seller has offered 3 months warranty but I was advised it’s from 3rd party warranty provider. I was given a leaflet from this warranty provider and as I saw, before give me a warranty, the seller should make a pre check of the car including e.g oil check , exhaust, windows, etc. I’ve been told all is done, then they set up 3 months warranty for me. All my questions about any leaks, any issues with car were answered as “no problems at all, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to offer you this warranty”. Okay, paid the rest, picked up the car.
After 7 days, drop the car to check to local garage and:
1. Oil leak, no idea which one, gear box or engine
2. Sub frame damaged, not even corroded, but damaged due some strike as advised by my garage
3. Middle part of exhaust system, felt off
4. Other stuff like a issue with brake piped due heavy corrosion
5. Crack on front window, I may probably do not notice it as was a heavy rain
6. Leak on rear shocks absorbers
Etc etc
I’ve contacted with seller, no answer
I’ve checked with MOT history and found same issues were advised on last MOT but as seller has not told me about them I was under impression it’s fixed
My question, could I use my consumer act right to reject to accept this car and pass it back to seller for full refund, just worried, as on paperwork I’ve sign it was a statement “I have fully inspected it and found it in satisfactory condition “
Nissan Note - Bought used car from trader with numerous issues - Adampr

Yes, legally you can reject the car. If the seller won't refund your money or ignores you, you can take them to court.

You should be aware, though, that any 'dodgy dealer' will have a selection of strategies for not having to pay you once you win the court case, which you might not of course.

Attempt to reject the car but, if you get nowhere, give some serious thought to it before deciding to go to court. The issues you mention are not unusual on an old car and, as you have seen, are not an MOT failure so you may consider them something to.live with and resolve when necessary.

Nissan Note - Bought used car from trader with numerous issues - Andrew-T

Seller says 'no faults, no problem' - walk away. No dealer will know that unless he is selling his own car, how would he know ? All your evidence suggests to me that you may be in a losing position, as has been suggested. As a matter of interest, what is the car (age, miles etc) and what did you pay ?

Nissan Note - Bought used car from trader with numerous issues - Gibbo_Wirral
I’ve checked with MOT history and found same issues were advised on last MOT but as seller has not told me about them I was under impression it’s fixed

Never assume advisories are going to be fixed. So often the owner will leave them until the car fails.

Nissan Note - Bought used car from trader with numerous issues - pd

All depends on how old and cheap the car is I guess.

Do the things raised make the car not fit for purpose or not to the standard a reasonable person would expect given age, miles and price?

There is a lot of subjective stuff there. Oil leak? Pouring out or just some stains? Sub-frame? Actually unserviceable or just an annoyance which doesn't affect how the car drives? etc.

The exhaust is probably the clearest one.

It really depends on bad it all is and whether this is a cheap old car or a relatively new one.