Vw mk8 - Hit by road sign. Legal advice please. - Anthony suttun

Hi

I need some advice please.

On the way home from work today at about 1pm. I cam off the m6 jt 6 onto the Aston express way Birmingham after I merged onto the express way a lorry that was in front of me and in the lane to my left drove over a worker in the road sign. This was a standard men at work sign and the aston express way has been having a lot of work done of late on the nights although none waw being done at this time.

The upshot of this was though that the sign was flicked up by his tyres and slammed straight into the front of my car and up the bonnet cause some serious scratches and paint transfer from the sign onto my paint work that I can't get off now. This was all caught on dash cam so have the evidence.

Who would I claim against ? I don't want to use my insurance as it will just cost me in the long run.

Thanks for any help.

Vw mk8 - Hit by road sign. Legal advice please. - Bromptonaut

In these circs I'd ask my insurer to deal with it but hope/expect that there would be a full recovery from the lorry's insurer.

Vw mk8 - Hit by road sign. Legal advice please. - Gibbo_Wirral

If the lorry was signed up, drop the company a message with a link to the video or some screen grabs. They might be willing to make quick amends without it going public or via insurance.

Vw mk8 - Hit by road sign. Legal advice please. - Simon

I fail to see how it is the lorry's fault if there was a sign already laid down on the carriageway.

Vw mk8 - Hit by road sign. Legal advice please. - gordonbennet

I fail to see how it is the lorry's fault if there was a sign already laid down on the carriageway.

Whilst i agree with you (the sign could have been spat out from under the vehicle in front of him, its not as if the thing fell off the lorry through being insecured), if the lorry operator is anything like the company i work for, if you submit the footage to the transport manager with photos of your damage i think as does Gibbo there's a good chance they will stump up so long as you mitigate the claim...ie not expecting a brand new X5 credit hire courtesy car whilst the bodyshop park your car in a corner for 3 months.