Unusual car insurance question... - UrzuS3V3N

Ok, I need some input here.

Quick history first.

Passed my full UK driving test about 17 years ago.

Licence was revoked under the new drivers act for driving without insurance due to a lying mechanic and me being too naïve to question what I was told.

Long gap between that and resiting the test as required, mainly due to not really NEEDING to drive as I live in a large city with plenty public transport but also because I was really disgusted with driving after what occured with the mechanic.

Eventually got my licence back. Clean as a whistle. Conviction completely expired and well outwith the time to declare to insurance. Like it never happened.

New licence card, and the government website, both show my license for class B as being issued in 2006 and NOT the date when I passed the test the 2nd time.

Currently in my first years insurance which I declared as having my licence less than 1 year and paying £1232 for the year and I was insured before my photocard came in the post.

Now I've realised my card, and the website, say I've had my license since 2006.

Ran a quote using the 2006 date and zero NCD and I would have paid £700 for the year instead. Slightly p***ed.

Which one do I legally need to declare to insurance? 2006 or 2023? Nothing, anywhere, shows any sign of passing a test in 2023 but everywhere shows as having a licence since 2006.

Cheers!

Unusual car insurance question... - Bromptonaut

I think you're doing the right thing by declaring the ban and resit as well as the issue date/date of original test.

If you write your car off and the insurance company start digging, as they will, then I'd be surprised if the full facts did not emerge. I would at least ask the insurance company to clarify.

Unusual car insurance question... - Gibbo_Wirral

Agree with Brompt about doing the "right" thing, but if it were me I would only volunteer what they asked:

When did you pass your test? (2006)

Have you any claims, convictions etc. in last five years? (No)

Unusual car insurance question... - Middleman

I think you're doing the right thing by declaring the ban...

Just to be clear, the OP was not banned from driving. The New Drivers' Act requires the DVLA to revoke a full driving licence if the holder acquires six or more penalty points within a period of two years, beginning with the date of first passing a driving test (with any points acquired before passing that test counting towards the total). He can apply for a new provisional licence immediately upon being notified of revocation and can begin driving as a provisional licence holder as soon as he has it.

This is not purely pedantic. There is a considerable difference (as far as insurers are concerned) between this and being disqualified from driving by a court. Interestingly, disqualification (for any length of time) within the two year probationary period does not trigger revocation.

Unusual car insurance question... - UrzuS3V3N

I think you're doing the right thing by declaring the ban...

Just to be clear, the OP was not banned from driving. The New Drivers' Act requires the DVLA to revoke a full driving licence if the holder acquires six or more penalty points within a period of two years, beginning with the date of first passing a driving test (with any points acquired before passing that test counting towards the total). He can apply for a new provisional licence immediately upon being notified of revocation and can begin driving as a provisional licence holder as soon as he has it.

This is not purely pedantic. There is a considerable difference (as far as insurers are concerned) between this and being disqualified from driving by a court. Interestingly, disqualification (for any length of time) within the two year probationary period does not trigger revocation.

Wow sir!

When you put it like that I feel a lot more comfotable using the 2006 date and not feel like I'm doing something dodgy. I forgot I could have got a new licence the next day if I wanted to. This would be the same as passing my test and then not driving. I like this! This has put it into perspective! Thanks!

I'm definitely not going to call them to correct it now. I'm due for renewal in 6 months. I'll correct it then. I don't want them to cancel the policy because of this and start a new policy. That would be a terrible scenario. I'll just take the hit on the price this year and chalk it up to 'live and learn'.

For some additional context, I am trying to stay within the bounds of the law. I always have.

When I first passed I was on my 2nd car and my 2nd policy. I was almost at the 2 year point for the new drivers act which was, in retrospect, quite fortunate.

The gearbox failed on the car and I took it to a garage to have to fixed. It was just before Xmas. I was in the army at the time and I was due to drive home for Xmas leave. Mechanic told me it wasn't going to be fixed in time for me to go home but offered me a courtesy car. I was only third party on my own car and I explicitly told the mechanic that my insurance didn't cover me driving his car. He told me not to worry about it and that I would be covered under his 'trader policy'.

I drove home and was stopped by police as they couldn't see any insurance on the car. I explained the situation and they gave me a producer and sent me on my way. After Xmas I went back to base and tries to contact the mechanic for the insurance details and was unable to make contact with him. I went to the police station to tell them and was cautioned.

Heard nothing about it for a couple weeks and then I was shipped off to Germany. The army driving licencing office took care of it from there. A few more weeks later Ingot word that the court declared, in absentia, I was to be revoked under the new drivers act and ordered to pay a fine which was paid.

It retrospect it was my fault, I should have asked for proof of insurance before taking the courtesy car but I wasn't thinking about it. All I was thinking about was my car and getting home for Xmas. It really put me off driving and all the c*** that comes with it. Another 'live and learn' moment.

Edited by UrzuS3V3N on 08/11/2023 at 17:40

Unusual car insurance question... - Adampr

Doesn't sound to me like it was your fault. The garage probably did have trade cover for its courtesy car and the army driving licencing office 'taking care of it' consisted of doing nothing and letting you be convicted.

Unusual car insurance question... - Middleman

Doesn't sound to me like it was your fault.

Unfortunately the law does not agree. It is a driver’s responsibility to be absolutely sure that cover is in place before driving. The only exception to this is where a driver is using a vehicle not belonging or hired to him, in the course of his employment and he neither knew nor had reason to believe that cover was not in place. This is described in the RTA, S143(3). However, all water very much under the bridge.

When you put it like that I feel a lot more comfotable using the 2006 date and not feel like I'm doing something dodgy.

You must be careful and pay particular attention to the questions the insurers ask you.

When a driver passes his test the “entitlement to drive” normally lasts until he is 70. This is independent of the need to renew the photograph every ten years. There are a couple of significant exceptions to this: licences for Heavy Goods Vehicles or Passenger Vehicles are subject to earlier renewal as are short term licences for those with reportable medical conditions. But generally, to drive a car, your licence lasts until you are 70.

However, the law (RTA s99) says this (summarised, with the irrelevant waffle cut out):

[a licence authorising] its holder to drive motor vehicles…shall, unless previously revoked or surrendered, remain in force….for the period ending on the seventieth anniversary of the applicant’s date of birth or for a period of three years, whichever is the longer,

Note the bit I have highlighted about revocation. So although you could have applied for and been granted a provisional licence immediately after yours was revoked, you didn’t. So for the period until you did, you did not hold a licence. I think if the insurer asks “How long have you held a licence?” you must say (1) for the period around 2006 and then (2) again from 2023. But if they ask “When did you pass your driving test?” I think you can truthfully say in 2006 (or whenever it was).

I don’t think this is the sort of thing you can reliably do online and I would speak to an insurer or broker if I were you. The last thing you want is to have a policy cancelled.