Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - Tina Buckley

Just been rear ended whilst stationary at a roundabout. Guy admitted he wasn't looking forward he was looking left, gave his details bar his insurance company (quick MID check confirmed he is insured) and we both went on our way.

I reported the incident to the police, got the log number and now not sure what to do regarding making a claim as my insurance is due for renewal next month. I've been led to believe this could really bump up my insurance as it would be an ongoing claim during renewal.

I don't know how to go about trying to contact the persons' insurance company or if I should let my own insurance deal with the it. A couple of people have said it may be best to use an accident claims company simply because they do all the work for you without informing my insurance company until the claim has been settled.

Could anyone give me some advice please? Many Thanks.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - up north

How old is your car and how bad was the damage, what needs repairing

It's a 2002 Honda Civic. Damage seems to be slight but until my usual mechanic has checked it, it is still an unknown. It was quite a forceful shunt and my car made minimal forward movement on impact due to brakes being in use at time of impact.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - skidpan

A 22 year old car will probably be a write off if the damage is more than scratched paint.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - elekie&a/c doctor
Damage may initially look slight , but if the boot floor is damaged , it’ll be a write off .

So if my mechanic thinks the car would be declared as a write off, should I go through my own insurance to sort it out or try to find out who the insurer is for the person who hit me.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - Andrew-T

The most you will get is (whichever) insurer's opinion of the market cost to buy the same model of vehicle. As said, unless the damage is relatively trivial your car may well be a write-off. However if it could be cheaply repaired to your satisfaction you can choose to do that, but the insurer's payout will be less. Could still be worth doing if you like the car and know a good local bodyshop.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - Adampr

Don't go through a claims company. Report it to.yiur insurance and let them sort it.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - up north

Unless your car is low mileage and mint condition it can't be worth that much as a 22 year old car. I was once stopped in an outside lane on the motorway and a car back ended me at speed, but the damage to a brand new fiesta was only marks on the bumper, no other damage. £150 sorted. The young lady paid for it rather than me put her through insurance hell.

The person who went into you would likely see their insurance dramatically rise by over a £1000. I would take your car to a body shop for an estimate and then see if the person who caused the damage was willing to cover it.

The point is if it is 22 years old car you don't even need new parts as a second hand bumper can be sourced and bolt on, just depends on the damage you have and if you want a 22 year old car to look like new. Dents and scratches etc are easily fixed

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - 72 dudes

I was once stopped in an outside lane on the motorway and a car back ended me at speed, but the damage to a brand new fiesta was only marks on the bumper, no other damage. £150 sorted. The young lady paid for it rather than me put her through insurance hell.

What a ridiculous statement. If you had been "back ended" at speed when stationery, the Fiesta would have been destroyed and you would have been seriously injured.

Oh, but maybe it was a Fiesta Titanium? ??

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - skidpan

I was once stopped in an outside lane on the motorway and a car back ended me at speed, but the damage to a brand new fiesta was only marks on the bumper, no other damage. £150 sorted. The young lady paid for it rather than me put her through insurance hell.

What a ridiculous statement. If you had been "back ended" at speed when stationery, the Fiesta would have been destroyed and you would have been seriously injured.

Oh, but maybe it was a Fiesta Titanium? ??

Wife was rear ended in her Nissan Note, the offending vehicle was a Citroen or Peugeot van (different badges front and rear - we never did find out which).

She had to make an emergency stop, the other driver didn't but not too high speed but the van still had to be recovered since the radiator was holed. Initially he tried to blame her saying she did not indicate, indicate what?

Anyways, after speaking to his father he agreed to pay for the damage without insurers (I did inform ours and our uninsured loss people should it have gone bad). Needed a new tailgate, new bumper plus paint and sundries, came to about £2000.

£150 would barely cover a bit of paint after a parking knock unless we are talking about the 1970's.

Honda Civic - Insurance renewal due but just been rear ended. - Terry W

Providing the damage is fairly superficial it may be worth getting an estimate and calling the other driver to agree a cash settlement.

It may preserve his no claims, possibly give you a few hundred pounds towards its eventual replacement - assuming it is safe to drive and will pass future MoTs.

A 22 year old car it is unlikely to justify significant repairs It will almost certainly be an insurance write off if it needs paint. bumper or another panel.