2018 Dacia Duster 2nd generation - DieselMan1966

Thinking about the Dacia Duster Diesel, I've read on some forums there were issues with the clutch, or are there any other issues I need to look for?

thanks

2018 Dacia Duster 2nd generation - badbusdriver

Being a DPF equipped diesel, I'd only be considering one under certain circumstances.

Ignoring that though, the Duster is not a "stand alone model". Under the skin it uses the same platform and/or running gear as countless other Dacia (including the 1st gen Duster), Renault and Nissan models. So if there were issues with the clutch, the same would also be the case on 1.5 diesel engined examples of all these other cars.

Not aware of any issues re the clutch but then I haven't really looked into them. My mate is on his 2nd Duster, though both have been petrol engined, and is very happy with them. He did have a diesel Sandero Stepway before them and was happy with that too.

2018 Dacia Duster 2nd generation - pd

The clutch on all 1.5dci Renaults does have a habit of getting a bit heavy as the mileage builds (over 80k) or so but usually keeps on going. I think the springs weaken - I've encountered it on numerous Meganes, Clios, Scenics etc.

Never come across a DPF issue with the 1.5dci myself.

Edited by pd on 21/03/2024 at 13:00

2018 Dacia Duster 2nd generation - gordonbennet

Cable clutch? maybe a bit of TLC (wot people once used to do before they became incapable of even washing their own car), ie feeding some oil down the cable and lubing any pivots might help?

Just the same in my world, it appears no one has the sense to squirt a bit of oil at the drivers door hinges on Scania trucks, drivers or mechanics, even though rust stains below hinges tell the tale, they'd rather struggle having to literally kick the door open...don't even think about lubing the door key lock in case the plipper fails and you can't gain in at all, sometimes only a double face palm will do.

Handy to know the DPF gives little trouble.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/03/2024 at 14:00

2018 Dacia Duster 2nd generation - bathtub tom

Cable clutch? maybe a bit of TLC feeding some oil down the cable and lubing any pivots might help?

I recall when bowden cables first had nylon lining the inside of the outer, advice was not to oil them as the reaction between oil and nylon could cause the latter to swell, making the cable operation stiff. I wonder if that still applies?

2018 Dacia Duster 2nd generation - pd

Not sure on the Dacia but on every other Renault 1.5dci I've seen it is a hydraulic clutch with a master/slave.

I can't remember the last car I saw a clutch cable on. Probably something from the 1980s.