Estate car - Second hand estate car - john249

I want to purchase a second hand estate car, either electric or hybrid, and spend no more than £15,000. Our last car was a Skoda Octavia, which was reliable and incurred reasonable insurance and maintenance costs. Any ideas appreciated! Many thanks

Estate car - Second hand estate car - badbusdriver

Toyota Corolla springs to mind on the (self charge) hybrid front. 2.0 would be best, but I think your budget might be a problem there leaving the the 1.8. Thats OK if you are fine with a relative lack of performance and have a smoother and more laid back driving style, but you may find it hard going if you are a press on driver. It is exceedingly reliably with either engine though!

Only electric option (on Autotrader anyway) is the MG5.

There is also the plug in hybrid (PHEV). How much is available to you depends on how high the mileage of your prospective purchase is acceptable. Up to 60k and there are 10, up to 70k there are 27 (including one Octavia), up to 80k and there are 44, you get the picture!

If your driving styled is compatible, I'd say Toyota Corolla all day long. There is also the Suzuki Swace which is simply a Corolla with different badges. Be aware the Toyota has a better warranty (assuming dealer serviced), though unlikely to be needed.

Estate car - Second hand estate car - Adampr

Kia Optima and VW Passat estates are both available as a PHEV. If you can find a Kia, it will be better value and possibly still in warranty. The Passat will be posher.

You may be able to find a Skoda Octavia or Superb that just sc***es into.your budget.