Used renault Laguna tourer - AndrewAUK99

Is the Renault Laguna tourer any good as a cheap used buy ?

I had read on here that pre 2004 they were dreadful but what about the later models such as below

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304256651376

Cheers

Used renault Laguna tourer - SLO76
It was a better built car than the previous model, but that’s not saying much since the Mk II was probably the least reliable car you could buy. As with any modern turbo diesel there’s loads that can and most likely will go wrong. It looks tidy and the Mot history looks good, but I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. They suffer timing chain problems, turbo failure, EGR problems, injector faults, DPF problems (if fitted - and I think it is) and they’re prone to electrical faults galore as with any elderly Renault.

The only car that dealer has that is on paper a worthy cheap runner is that Vauxhall Zafira with the robust Isuzu 1.7 diesel motor, but I stopped looking at it when I read that it has almost zero service history. It might be worth a look though, it should be obvious enough if it’s been maintained. A good one is spacious, comfortable and robust. But even this tough old Japanese engine can cost you regularly at this age. I haven’t looked up the Mot history.

I take it this is too small? Again I haven’t looked up the Mot history, but these are great cheap runabouts with little to go wrong.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403197746515

Spotted this nearby too. These were brilliant cars, the PD diesels were fit for half a million miles plus. It looks very tidy, but it is old and age will still means regular repair bills. Keep it nice and it won’t lose any money however. I haven’t looked up the history, but I’m tempted to hoover this myself.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403067277697

Edited by SLO76 on 01/04/2024 at 23:11

Used renault Laguna tourer - pd

The problem with the Vauxhall 1.7 cars is they may have a reliable engine but they are usually fired with the M32 gearbox which is absolutely terrible.

If it hasn't been rebuilt it probably needs rebuilding.

The Laguna if you insist on an auto might be worth considering as frankly you won't get much choice in that price range. In general though I think they're ok as £1500 cars but not so sure if want to pay £2500 for one. You have to think of such a car as a disposable gamble. Might do 2 years, might do 2 months or 2 weeks.

The 2.0 diesel isn't so bad but I've certainly seen ones what failing injectors usually shown by an uneven idle when warm and/or limp mode when booted.

Used renault Laguna tourer - elekie&a/c doctor
If you’re looking for a cheapish estate car , why not consider a Focus or Mondeo ? But must be petrol with a manual gearbox.
Used renault Laguna tourer - badbusdriver
If you’re looking for a cheapish estate car , why not consider a Focus or Mondeo ? But must be petrol with a manual gearbox.

Think the OP has been told this on both previous threads!

;-)

Tried to find a decent one but they are all so overpriced

I'll check them both out thx

Used renault Laguna tourer - Big John

Is the Renault Laguna tourer any good as a cheap used buy ?

No, very unreliable especially re the horrible "credit card" key system.