Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - hunterex

Car used: Honda Jazz year 2010

Context: The car had some grinding noise when the brake pad at NSR tyre had been "eaten" all the way & the brake disc had been rubbing with the brake pad.

I had since changed the brake pad & brake disc at NSR. The noise is gone which is good. However, after few days of driving, the brake still has burnt smell & the wheel alloy is very hot at NSR tyre.

I am about to change 3 tyres next Tuesday at a nearby garage & I want to expect what issue I might have & how much cost I anticipate to fix it.

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - Orb>>

Did you only change 1 disc and pads, from what I understand?

maybe you didn't fit it correctly. and also service and clean the calipers.

And why only change 3 tyres?

Not the best way to keep a 14 year old car in good condition.

Get it checked over by a professional before you hurt yourself or someone else in an accident.

I and other don't have a magic spell to help you,

But Good luck is all I can say.

Edited by Orb>> on 05/04/2024 at 15:08

And why only change 3 tyres?

The 4th tyre got puncture previously & replaced. So it got a different lifespan than other tyres.

you only change 1 disc and pads, from what I understand?

Yes as it was an emergency service. All garages are shut during bank holidays & I had to use mobile fitter to change the brake pad & disc.

Get it checked over by a professional before you hurt yourself or someone else in an accident.

I will request for brake inspection in Halfords during tyre changes

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - Orb>>

will request for brake inspection in Halfords during tyre changes.

Be very prepared to be "upsold"

I did suggest getting it checked by a proffesional, not a tyre fitter, although they replace othe r items too.

Halfords like many other fast fir places do just that, they don't repair, they fit...

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - Oli rag

It does sound as if you have a sticky brake caliper, sometimes you can free up the piston and pins, but you may need a replacement calliper fitted.

It does sound as if you have a sticky brake caliper, sometimes you can free up the piston and pins, but you may need a replacement calliper fitted.

How mch does it cost to replace the brake caliper? Can a faulty brake caliper cause the brake pad to burn?

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - Oli rag

Yes, a sticking caliper will cause the brake to get hot. Might cost £150 or so to replace.

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - focussed

Yes, a sticking caliper will cause the brake to get hot. Might cost £150 or so to replace.

A genuine Honda Jazz front caliper is £353.52 + delivery/

They are handed so be sure to order the correct side.

www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/honda-jazz/2009.../

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - sajid

Looks like caliper seizing or sticking hence u get a hot disks or burnt smell

I would get the caliper looked at possibly clean and grease properly

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - Rerepo

Sticking rear caliper. Quite common. Caliper rebuild kit £25 OR rebuilt OE caliper £130 OR new ChiNese copy caliper £40-60. All plus labour.

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - edlithgow

In my limited experience, fairly easy (and oddly satisfying) to rebuild as long as you ignore the prevailing Internyet advice to use compressed air to blow out the piston, and just use your brake pedal, which is built for the job.

This assumes a complete strip, which might not be needed if its just your caliper sticking.

Silicone grease and a PTFE thread tape wrap on the slider pins (after cleanup with aluminium foil) seems to work and last well.

I avoid any wet lubricant on the surfaces where the pad ears rest, usually provided with SS clips. I wrap the ears with PTFE tape, and rub the SS surface with a 2B pencil.

The caliper surface behind the clips I rust treat with aluminium and sunflower oil, otherwise rust jacking of the clips can jam the pads. Since I;m doing that anyway I do the whole caliper, which isn't really necessary.

Never dealt with an ABS system, which might be a lot more grief, but if you arent removing the piston you wont have to either.

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - madf

Rear caliper sliding pins on Jazz will seize - I mean WILL - if not regularly serviced. Repair kits cheap on ebay. Seized caliper pistons can be released with WD40 - if not badly corroded.

BUT when inserting new pads the cross on rear of caliper face MUST be vertical/horizontal or pins on on the pads will not engage properly and pad will not fit properly..

Free online manual www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

In my limited experience, fairly easy (and oddly satisfying) to rebuild as long as you ignore the prevailing Internyet advice to use compressed air to blow out the piston, and just use your brake pedal, which is built for the job.

This assumes a complete strip, which might not be needed if its just your caliper sticking.

Silicone grease and a PTFE thread tape wrap on the slider pins (after cleanup with aluminium foil) seems to work and last well.

I avoid any wet lubricant on the surfaces where the pad ears rest, usually provided with SS clips. I wrap the ears with PTFE tape, and rub the SS surface with a 2B pencil.

The caliper surface behind the clips I rust treat with aluminium and sunflower oil, otherwise rust jacking of the clips can jam the pads. Since I;m doing that anyway I do the whole caliper, which isn't really necessary.

Never dealt with an ABS system, which might be a lot more grief, but if you arent removing the piston you wont have to either.

Maybe above is naively optimistic, being based on fully stripping just one 37 year old system (1986 Daihatsu Skywing), excluding master cylinder.

Currently looking at a roughly contemporary Yamaha motorcycle, which is quite a bit more advanced, and very much worse.

On the front. single piston hydraulic brake are three slider pins, two outer caliper mount ones which have 14mm hex heads in the middle (?!) hidden under the rubber boot remains. There MIGHT be a slim chance of moving these if I can score access to a vice.

There is also a central pin,, which appears to pass through the brake pads, so they cant be removed unless it is. This has an utterly pathetic wee allen socket head, and isnt going anywhere until the (alloy, I think) caliper is in the smelter.

So it was possible to implement an un-maintainable system even in the 80's, (I b***** hate motorcycles) and it would be surprising if car manufacturers havnt achieved that over the past 38 years of continuous striving.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/04/2024 at 00:20

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - Andrew-T

<< So it was possible to implement an un-maintainable system even in the 80's, >>

Ed, it would probably be maintainable if you hadn't waited so long before trying ? I guess most things would become unmaintainable after waiting long enough.

<< So it was possible to implement an un-maintainable system even in the 80's, >>

Ed, it would probably be maintainable if you hadn't waited so long before trying ? I guess most things would become unmaintainable after waiting long enough.

Well this is true,

Abandoned/neglected motorcycles are probably commoner than ditto cars, partly because they take up less space.

BUT there are for sure design factors involved.

The brakes on the Skywing had probably been neglected for as long or longer .(Taiwanese are very big on the "You never have to change your brake fluid" :philosophy particularly unfortunate given the humidity here) but there were proper reasonably sized bolt heads that suggested it might have been actually intended to be taken apart, and it came apart, without access to the engineering deck resources of the Starship Enterprise.

I dont know if that applies to contemporary cars, which arent generally built with maintenance in mind, and so I shouldnt have originally implied these were necessarily easy to strip, since I dont know.

It certainly doesnt apply to this motorcycle, which demonstrates that design awfulness is easily achievable.

More generally, motorcycles are infested with tiny recessed and corroded cross-head screws which may or may not be JIS, no way of telling that I know of, which need undone with an impact driver that has bits that may or may not be JIS, no way of telling that I know of.. A couple of these hold the lid on the master cylinder reservoir and will need drilled out.

This probably does not apply to contemporary cars, which have electronics to make them un-maintainable.

I could go on at length about other features of motorcycle design-for-maintenance awfulness, a sore point at the moment, but I wont.

Honda Jazz - Burnt smell at brake although new brake disc & pad - bathtub tom
More generally, motorcycles are infested with tiny recessed and corroded cross-head screws which may or may not be JIS, no way of telling that I know of

Here you go (may need a microscope): rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-screwdrivers-and-wher.../

More generally, motorcycles are infested with tiny recessed and corroded cross-head screws which may or may not be JIS, no way of telling that I know of

Here you go (may need a microscope): rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-screwdrivers-and-wher.../

Jeez!

According to that article, there is real JIS and neo-JIS, and only one known maker of real JIS screwdrivers on the planet.

(SUNFLAG otherwise known as New Turtle - obviously they couldnt only have one name. That'd cause confusion)

So even my Vessel JIS screwdriver. bought by me in Yokohama, in Genuine Japan, from a Genuine Japanese, probably isn't quite right for real JIS screws, if such screws did in fact exist on my old Japanese (or Taiwanese copy of an old Japanese) machine, which I can neither confirm nor deny.

The situation is worse than I thought, and I already thought it was hard to believe how b***** awful it was.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/04/2024 at 03:58