Skoda, the good old days? - badbusdriver

Came upon this Skoda promotional film this on YouTube morning, from back in the (glory?) days of the Estelle!

watch

The butt of many jokes but I'm not sure they were really that bad, certainly in terms of reliability?. At the technical college I attended back in the late 80's, a mate had an Estelle 120 (of the age the cars in the video) and at the same time, I had a Lada 1600!. I also remember my Grandfather having a late Estelle 120 (though I think the name Estelle might ave been dropped and it was just a Skoda 120?)

Skoda, the good old days? - Xileno

I quite liked the Coupe although I wouldn't have bought one. Those who I came across who had these liked them. Basic, tough and quite reliable. Completely outdated by the time it was chopped - late eighties I think?

Skoda, the good old days? - bathtub tom

Daughter's first car was a 130 IIRC. If it could go wrong, it would go wrong is my memory of it. Satisfying to drive, with some 'go', but the number of 'challenges' it threw up...........

It was eventually sold with a large amount of negative camber on the rear wheels, where the semi-trailing rear arms had twisted, probably due to over enthusiastic acceleration. I was more than partky to blame!

Skoda, the good old days? - skidpan

Our office closed in 1988 and we were all moved 35 miles south. Alternatives were a cheap mortgage and move or get mileage allowance, most took the mileage which was a good idea since as expected 2 years later we moved north again once staff numbers had reduced as people got fed up of sitting on the M1 for 1/2 a morning.

One chap decided that he did not want to pile the miles on his beloved Peugeot 309 GTi so bought an Estelle 1200. We called it the kettle, seen most days on the M1 with steam issuing from most orifices.

Than god Skodas are not make like they used to be.

Good old days my a r s e.

Skoda, the good old days? - John F

Than god Skodas are not make like they used to be.

Good old days my a r s e.

Baby boomer Skoda jokes belie an illustrious history. The Rapids and Superbs of the late 1930s were probably as good as anything from the West Midlands factories of Messrs Austin, Morris and Lyons.

Skoda, the good old days? - craig-pd130

Way back in the mid-80s, Car Magazine did a feature about converting a used Estelle 130 Coupe's engine and suspension to privateer rally spec, as they were doing fairly well in European rallies at the time. It involved a hotter cam, twin-choke Weber etc.

If I remember correctly the converted car was capable of a sub 8-second 0 - 60 (which was quick back then) and had hot-hatch handling to boot.

Skoda, the good old days? - SLO76
Always wanted a shot in one of these quirky but simple cars. We had a Proton franchise for a while and would regularly see ex Soviet block cars in part exchange as owners upgraded to a classy Malaysian limo, but I never took an Estelle in. Had loads of Lada’s of all kinds though, we had a contact on a Russian container ship that took everything we got in, especially Riva estates and the Niva 4wd.
Skoda, the good old days? - gordonbennet

Not just Skodas that could be surprising cars, my sister had a Wartburg Knight saloon, which was a really quite decent drive of its day, acceleration that would rival a Jaguar courtesy of the two stroke engine and of course the benefit of free wheeling on overrun.

Its let down was the brakes, the only car (not on the banger racing track) where i experienced total brake failure after constant running on a dual carriageway for half an hour or more, thankfully the rear drum park brake was one of the best anywhere and managed to pull up safely, after a few minutes the brakes returned to normal.

Chap i know bought a new Lada Riva estate (hmm now was it the estate or saloon, can't be sure), still brand new he asked me why the steering was so heavy, steering box had no oil and when i topped it up all the oil leaked straight out. It was an awful thing its solid bodywork the only good point i could find.

We soon forget just how awful how many european cars were from the 70's too, you could watch the rust eating through on almost everything from that era, it still happens underneath on subframes etc on too many but almost no one looks there so kids themselves that modern cars don't rust.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2024 at 10:58

Skoda, the good old days? - Terry W

My early Skoda experience predates most - a 1967 Skoda 1000MB I recall.

Bought as by comparison with alternatives (eg: Anglia, Herald) it was well equipped - it had a heater that worked.

Unambiguously the worst car I have ever owned. Rot ridden, starting problems, engine and gearbox failures.

By contrast one of the best was a 2011 Octavia 1.4TSI - kept for 7 years, 140k, just two minor one repairs (one under warranty), average ~50mpg.

As is generally the case on YT, if you "like" a video, other ones of similar content pop up. And so I noticed a clip for something I'd never heard of called the Skoda Trekka:

watch

No prizes for guessing where this New Zealand built (apparently NZ's only production car) Octavia based machine drew inspiration from!. Though as far as I can tell, it was only ever 2wd.

Here is an article from a NZ classic car website with a test drive, background and history

testing-a-trekka

Skoda, the good old days? - edlithgow

As is generally the case on YT, if you "like" a video, other ones of similar content pop up. And so I noticed a clip for something I'd never heard of called the Skoda Trekka:

watch

No prizes for guessing where this New Zealand built (apparently NZ's only production car) Octavia based machine drew inspiration from!. Though as far as I can tell, it was only ever 2wd.

Here is an article from a NZ classic car website with a test drive, background and history

testing-a-trekka

Nice. And simple.

I oarticularly like the lack of the sometimes problematic steering column combo switch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsY9WrTHkek

Suppose it had a similar intended market and role to the original Toyota Zace here in SouthEast Asia, though that had a bigger engine, and steel fixed bodywork, both of which have pros, but mostly cons

Skoda, the good old days? - Big John

We soon forget just how awful how many european cars were from the 70's too, you could watch the rust eating through on almost everything from that era, it still happens underneath on subframes etc on too many but almost no one looks there so kids themselves that modern cars don't rust.

I so agree re rust still being a problem , some worse than others.the killer of many a car is the rusting through of a front subframe , cross member or rear suspension/ spring cups. Many bodies are galvanised but that can be defeated especially on cars that use galv metal and are then welded during manufacturer - eg Fiat but there are others. VW's and Audi's use horrible foam sound proofing foam "packs" that trap water/condensation which eventually cause rust - eg many a Passat has rusty front wings at a certain age.

I was brought up on cars of the 60's & 70's so became an accomplished welder!

Edited by Big John on 20/04/2024 at 00:29

Skoda, the good old days? - edlithgow

Chap i know bought a new Lada Riva estate (hmm now was it the estate or saloon, can't be sure), still brand new he asked me why the steering was so heavy, steering box had no oil and when i topped it up all the oil leaked straight out. It was an awful thing its solid bodywork the only good point i could find.

Loved my Lada

Absolutely the Best 40 Quid I ever spent.

I think that, perhaps more than most cars, that they were disproportionately bought new by people who were clueless, and knew it, and were thus especially scared of buying second hand.

This was compounded by the fact that the Sovs got the punters to do the production QC, rather like modern car makers get the punters to do the development testing

(There arguably wasn't much development on a Lada)

This meant they were an especially dodgy buy new, but by the time they cost 40 quid, Darwinism had done its thing and weeded out the weaklings.

Over about 4 years I replaced a wheel cylinder, which IIRC cost a fiver, put a stainless steel tube insert in an exhaust fracture, and faked up the jacking point outriggers with ferrocement for a few MOTs.

If an unreasonably hostile MOT tester (who didnt spot the outriggers but was quite imaginative elsewhere) and an inherited Renault 5 hadn't coincided with an MSc thesis deadline I would probably have still had it when I left for Taiwan.

Bit heavy on fuel though.

Edited by edlithgow on 06/05/2024 at 02:25

Skoda, the good old days? - mcb100
Given Škoda’s heritage as a manufacturer of bicycles, it’s appropriate that they made the hub and spindle in the centre of the London Eye.
Skoda, the good old days? - DavidGlos
Wife’s family had a Rapid Coupe in the early 80s when she was smaller. She recalls it being a pain to get started on cold or damp mornings. The fact it had to be reversed up a steep drive to get to the road didn’t help, with lots of cranking and stalling involved! Oh the joys of older petrol engines, points and manual chokes ‘back in the day’!

My first car was my Dad’s old 205 diesel, which was a revelation in terms of ease of starting. Provided you let the glow plugs work their magic before cranking the engine over, I don’t recall it ever failing to start first time. And no damp morning hesitation or stalling either!
Skoda, the good old days? - focussed

All this reminds me of:-

During the 1980's I was a supervising installation engineer for a major diesel engine manufacturer. I used to visit various companies who purchased our products - technical liaison, troubleshooting etc.

One visit at one particular company I noticed the car park was jammed with newish Skodas.

I walked into the plant and asked a chargehand I knew what was going on with all the Skodas in the car park.

He told me that the company had arranged a deal with the local Skoda dealer that all production operatives could have a new Skoda every year with a personal HP deal for peanuts, as long as a certain minimum number were involved.

So. the guys, who were on serious money, on double day shift, all had a new Skoda that started every morning at crack of sparrow and got them to work in a rural environment - that's important you are running a high pressure production operation all year round.

Most of them were fed up having to mess about with old bangers as a second car to get to work, while their OH used the decent motor to get to their jobs and run the kids about etc.

I remember reading a road test (Car magazine I think) of the then new Rapid 136 coupe and them being very impressed by it!. There was certainly mention of it being like a budget 911, but they praised its handling and road manners in general.

Skoda, the good old days? - Andrew-T
My first car was my Dad’s old 205 diesel, which was a revelation in terms of ease of starting. Provided you let the glow plugs work their magic before cranking the engine over, I don’t recall it ever failing to start first time. And no damp morning hesitation or stalling either!

Even better when the Dturbo arrived about 1990, and better still ten years later with the TDi engine in the 306. Only needed about a second before starting !

Skoda, the good old days? - skidpan
better still ten years later with the TDi engine in the 306.

Peugeot called their engines HDi. The TDi was the noisier but more economical VAG offering.

Skoda, the good old days? - swansea_karl

Hi all, i decided to have a change and purchased a 2022 1.0Tsi Scala. All my other cars have been Vauxhalls usually Astras and a Nova.

Quite a rare car, there are not many Scalas around.