Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - argybargy

I may well have asked this question before, so apologies in advance if it reads like a case of amnesia.

Apart from a break of a few months, I've had after market warranties on all my cars since about 2008. I've claimed twice for fairly minor issues, never had a problem being paid out. But...over that period I must have paid a couple of grand in premiums. Last time I attempted to claim I fell foul of a garage owner's reluctance to deal with the warranty company. He'd clearly had problems with them in the past and wasn't even willing to provide itemised paperwork. So I paid for the work myself ( it was an MOT failure, cost about £250 so not big bucks).

I wondered whether anyone had any thoughts on these warranties. It seems to me that although they may offer some peace of mind in the case of an unreliable car, when one owns a decent motor such as a Jazz and looks after it, then AMWs are money down the drain. Plus the fact that the claims process can be such a "faff" that it hardly seems worth the bother. I'm asking now because our current warranty is up for renewal this month and for the first time ever, I'm seriously thinking of dumping it.

Any thoughts on the topic welcome, cheers.

I

Edited by argybargy on 01/05/2024 at 09:36

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - Andrew-T

I don't know about any particular warranties, but there have been discussions about the general principle. My own view is that you are simply placing a bet - you are unlikely to get your warranty money back unless you are (a) unlucky enough to suffer an expensive failure and (b) lucky enough for it to be covered. On balance, probably much better to put the warranty money in a piggy bank and enjoy it when it expires without being needed.

I've never used them, nor needed them. If you buy your cars carefully you shouldn't either. In fact I remember once talking a dealer down by waiving his warranty. Mind you, all this was a long time ago, when faults on used cars would usually cost reasonable amounts to fix !

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - badbusdriver

My own opinion (which is not based on any relevant experience) is that aftermarket warranties are not worth bothering about. They are basically an insurance policy you are paying for the reliability of your car, and as such, if you claim, the cost of that cover is going to go up accordingly. Plus, the simple fact is that the companies providing them are businesses which exist for the sole purpose of profit. What I mean by that is that if your car doesn't brake down, they are profiting from you because you are paying them for nothing other than the illusion of peace of mind. If your does car bakes down, they are still profiting because the cost of said repairs will be less than what you have paid thus far, and the cost of the cover will go up the following year, possibly by a lot, because your car is now deemed a higher risk. The cover will also invariably have small print to exclude cover of anything very expensive unless you are paying a lot of money for very comprehensive cover.

Not sure how much breakdown cover costs, but surely a better idea would be to set up a savings account and put equivalent monthly payments in that. Depending on how much you are putting in and how much a likely problem on your car would cost to rectify, you could leave 6-12 months payment in the account, but otherwise you can use the subsequent payments for other things like putting towards a holiday, going out for a meal, treating your partner etc. Of course this would entail you having the self control to leave that initial "lump sum" in the account just in case!

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/05/2024 at 10:11

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - madf

Based on my 10 years owning a 2012 CVT Honda Jazz, any warranty would be wasted as it has never had a major issue - lots of brake bits but that is wear and tear,(Just new front and rear disks plus pads plus sliding pins.. (I DIYed when 5 year warranty ran out.)

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - Andrew-T

Not sure how much breakdown cover costs, ....

I thought we were discussing warranties, not Breakdown Cover ?

Many thanks for the responses, lots of common sense thinking there.

Reckon I will ditch it this time round, not least because we do have some money in the bank (although not enough yet to replace our Jazz with the Mazda CX3 that I'm saving up for ) and should be able to cover anything but the most catastrophic failures. Which, as suggested by madf above, is unlikely with a Jazz.

Edited by argybargy on 01/05/2024 at 16:34

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - catsdad

I haven’t had a stand alone used car warranty for many years. A breakdown is a pain in the proverbial anyway and adding in the complication of having to make a claim is a hassle I can do without. Anecdotally they exclude so much that they’re of limited use.

Rather than a standalone warranty our 2020 Vitara has a service activated warranty. This warrants the car, excluding wear and tear items, as long as it’s serviced by a participating dealer. Not all do, our local dealer is fifteen miles away and doesn’t participate. So for now we will make the 100 mile round trip to the dealer we bought it from until we’ve had it for a year. Once that’s passed I am not sure I will bother unless I can find a nearer dealer. My indie is very good and walkable in fine weather.

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - badbusdriver

we do have some money in the bank (although not enough yet to replace our Jazz with the Mazda CX3 that I'm saving up for )

Slightly off piste here, but have you had a look at a CX3 in the flesh and/or read the thread by Honda Jazzer?

The Mazda CX3 was one of the prime candidates until such times as a physical encounter happened. Whereupon it was decided that the CX3 was just too cramped!

As you would also be coming from a Jazz, the difference in space, particularly the rear seat, will be especially noticeable. Not a problem for some of course, but if you regularly carry rear passengers, it may be.

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - gordonbennet

The only time we've ever had such a warranty was when we bought the Merc coupe (still have it) when it was 6 years old around 2002/3, the dealer told us himself the warranty he supplied with all cars wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

I suspect, but have no evidence, that some minor claims are more likely paid out for statistical reasons whilst really expensive claims would more likely be rejected.

Back in the 80's my next door neighbour bought an Audi 100CC estate (the curvy one they printed the low Cd figure on), he bought an aftermarket warranty with it, the automatic gearbox failed a few months later (how unusual on one of those) and in the small print the max figure for any one single claim came to about 1/3rd the cost of repair....the kicker was he'd traded in a mint low mileage Nissan Bluebird he'd had from new which never missed a beat for that Audi.

I've not had a close look at a CX-3 yet, BBD. Coincidentally enough, my niece and her husband, who have been working abroad for a few years, came back to live in the UK recently and because it would have cost so much to have their two cars transported back here, they sold them abroad and went looking for a Mazda when they returned to the UK. They had a butcher's at a CX-3 and as you suggest, they found it too cramped ( though to be fair, they're both much taller than myself or my wife). As a result of that disappointment they opted for a CX30 instead.

I've seen a CX-3 parked outside someone's house not far from here and I did notice that the side windows appear to be rather shallow, so perhaps visibility is an issue too, though we obviously won't know for sure till we've clapped eyes on one in anger. I'll also check out that thread you mention.

Edited by argybargy on 05/05/2024 at 09:37

Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - SLO76
Most of them are r******, even the big names such as the RAC make it difficult for garages to claim and most have very low claims limits which wouldn’t pay for anything major. It’s the first question I ask when a dealer offers a warranty. The local garage I looked at a Hyundai Tucson with had a useless £1,000 claims limit on their RAC warranty which was much hyped by the salesboy.

The only warranties I’d put any real value on are approved used manufacturer backed warranties on approved used cars. These typically are very good with most offering a claims limit that is the value of the car. Though cosmetic and certain electrical components can be excluded. Our poor quality (ruined by American bean counters) Volvo XC60 had cause to visit the dealer numerous times for warranty repairs but fortunately everything bar a water damaged fog light was covered, and the dealer did that one as goodwill.

I’ve never bought a warranty. But I’ve sold them in the past and experienced the anger from both customer and service staff alike. On a Honda Jazz I certainly wouldn’t part with any money for a useless bit of paper.
Honda Jazz 2013 - After market warranties - sajid

When I bought a honda jazz from the dealers I extended the warranty to 5 years.

My jazz had a fault the abs light came on turn out to be a abs modulator

priced at £1300 fortunately having a extended warranty covered the entire cost

Thanks again for the further observations on aftermarket warranties. I've had the renewal notification and I'm mulling the situation over the BH weekend. I'll probably cancel on Tuesday and put my motoring fortunes in the fickle hands of Fate, at least until we buy our next car.