'Inadvertent' No Insurance - Bromptonaut

Trying to help a friend whose insurance lapsed because he thought it would auto-renew and it did not. He was very unwell at the time with a life threatening illness and has other co-morbidities affecting his mobility and his mental health. He's on Universal Credit and both elements of Personal Independence Payment due to the life threatening illness.

Officer who pulled him after an ANPR 'ping' didn't detain the vehicle. Friend went straight home and bought fresh insurance. The pull was over the BH weekend.

He's not very worldly. He wasn't given anything in writing at the time but did use his finger to sign something on the officer's phone/tablet type device.

Obviously he's committed the offence and admitted it to the police. His illness may be mitigation but it's not, I think, a defence.

How should it work process wise from now on?

Will he get a NIP or summons in the post?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/05/2024 at 15:24

'Inadvertent' No Insurance - ExA35Owner

He's already been warned that he may be prosecuted.

So next step is an offer of a fixed penalty and 6 points.

He can take that (which will cost him more in insurance premiums for some years) or elect to go to court. He's clearly guilty; this is a strict liability offence so the mitigation you suggest may well not work for him. So court may prove to be even more expensive.

Not a good mistake to make.

'Inadvertent' No Insurance - Middleman

He's already been warned that he may be prosecuted.

And no NIP is required for the offence anyway.

The only real avenue he has is to decline the fixed penalty (which means the next he will hear will be a "Single Justice Procedure Notice"). He can then plead guilty in response to that and ask for a court hearing. At that hearing he can ask the court to consider that there are "Special Reasons" (SR) not to endorse his licence and impose points or a ban.

Frankly I don't hold out much hope of success with that. The offence is one of strict liability and it is the driver's responsibility to be as sure as he can be that cover is in place. Even with auto-renewal things can go wrong (e.g. credit card expired) and a driver who did not check that his policy had renewed in those circumstances would not succeed with a SR argument.

The court might take into consideration his other problems which may just swing it. But equally there is a danger that court might consider that with all these issues which may affect his ability to stay on top of the administrative responsibilities associated with driving, should he really be driving at all?

Weighing up the pros and cons, the fixed penalty will cost him £300 and six points. If his SR argument fails he will still have six points imposed (the offence carries 6-8 points or a disqualification, but there's no reason to suspect the court would go beyond the minimum). He will also be liable to a means-related fine, a surcharge of 40% of the fine and prosecution costs of around £90. In view of his lack of funds, it is unlikely that total will greatly exceed the FP sum.

In summary, I doubt very much that a SR argument will succeed. But it probably will not cost him too much over and above the FP sum to give it a try. However, it will mean a trip to court to present his SR argument.

Thanks guys, that what pretty much what I thought.

No need for a NIP is sort of what I expected so no comfort there.

'Inadvertent' No Insurance - Gerry Sanderson

A very very long shot but who knows

IF he has been with the same Insurance co that he has renewed with for some time and lapse very short duration then try write lette to INsurance co as fully explained above asking if they would consider holding themselves as risk on day stopped and provide written confirmation which can be produced to police or at court.

Ive known it work in the past

dvd

Thanks Gerry, it was quite a long time ago like Jan or Feb so I don't hold out much hope.

He'll have to wait and see what drops through the letterbox.