Subaru XV - LED tail lights - galileo

A friend complained that he's been quoted £350 for a replacement light unit, is there any one who repairs these or is this yet another 'improvement' that we have had imposed on us at our expense?

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds cheap to me compared to other cars . The problem with led lights is that they’re generally a sealed unit . You’d need to destroy it to gain access to the internal gubbins. It possibly is repairable, but the manufacturers have made it virtually impossible.
Subaru XV - LED tail lights - galileo
Sounds cheap to me compared to other cars . The problem with led lights is that they’re generally a sealed unit . You’d need to destroy it to gain access to the internal gubbins. It possibly is repairable, but the manufacturers have made it virtually impossible.

Thanks for that, I am glad I just changed my (15 year old) car for a 10 year old car which is free from almost all of the 'new and wonderful improved technical features and driver aids.

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - edlithgow

You cant drill a hole in it?

Or is the problem that its controlled via a data bus rather than simply being a switched device?

And/or "coded" to the car/ECU/whatever?

Just morbid curiosity. I'm never likely to have one.

Edited by edlithgow on 08/05/2024 at 02:44

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - daveyjp

LED lighting units are complicated electroncis and often poorly built. The LED bulb may last tens of thousands of hours, but if other components don't its not a boast which can be relied upon.

Repairing them means fault finding and dismantling fiddly electronics before replacing the faulty component.

I've had two LED outside security lights, neither lasted more than 2 years. I replaced it for a 250w halogen, which is what I had previously which needs a new bulb every 3-4 years.

For comparison Outback rear light units were £250 and £150 a couple of years ago. Part of the light is in the tailgate, hence the two components making up the unit.

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - Engineer Andy

LED lighting units are complicated electroncis and often poorly built. The LED bulb may last tens of thousands of hours, but if other components don't its not a boast which can be relied upon.

Repairing them means fault finding and dismantling fiddly electronics before replacing the faulty component.

I've had two LED outside security lights, neither lasted more than 2 years. I replaced it for a 250w halogen, which is what I had previously which needs a new bulb every 3-4 years.

For comparison Outback rear light units were £250 and £150 a couple of years ago. Part of the light is in the tailgate, hence the two components making up the unit.

As I recall, some former electrical engineer colleagues (I was a mechanical engineer) of mine said much the same about at least the first two generations of commercially-available LED lights in the construction industry - nice lamps, r****** electronics and build quality.

One one job, LED spot lamps (similar to those in k i t c h e n s) that should have been lasting 10 years were having to be replaced within 6-12 months. I remember going to a site visit prior to handover where loads of spots had to be replaced.

Meanwhile, my 18yo car's lights (all of them) are still on their original halogen bulbs with no problems.

AFAIK,lights, even now, dont do anything very sophisticated, being basically ON or OFF.

Auto dipping for an oncoming vehicle is the most sophisticated function I'm aware of, though of course there is probably some superfluous what-will-they-think-of-next-and-WHY? s***e that I havn't heard of.

This seems to imply that, even if they are computer/data bus controlled, it would be practical to retrofit a parallel old-school control system of conventional current-carrying wires and switches.

Tricky bits would be the user interface, where you might need add-ons to the controls, and fooling the ECU that there were no glitches in the nominally intact Matrix.

Certainly not trivial. and would be completely illegal in, for example, Taiwan, but it would beat paying some of the ludicrous prices Ive heard of. for bits that quite soon wont be available anyway.

Also beaten of course by any old car, like my last one, where tail-light bulbs were free at the inspection, but cost about 10p in the shops. Headlights I dunno, since I never replaced one. The front lens was glass so no cataracts.

It did need a column switch unit replaced, and a few local earth connections added. I put LEDs in the side indicators because the bulb holders had broken down in the sun and it was easier to improvise a holder for an LED strip (IIRC 3 in series to get the voltage about right for the flasher relay) with a bicycle tail reflector as lens.

These replaced a temporary pass-inspection work-around using a short string of old Christmas Tree lights, which only lasted a year or two.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/05/2024 at 02:27

These replaced a temporary pass-inspection work-around using a short string of old Christmas Tree lights, which only lasted a year or two.

Tsk. Suppose that served me right for using cheap Chinese c***.

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - Heidfirst

does he actually need a new tail light?

iDon't know about the Subaru XV but iirc most are multiple light source/LEDs & you are allowed a % failure of units before being required to replace.

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - Rerepo

The taillight assembly uses a flexible PCB populated with lensed type 3528 PLCC-4 SMD LEDs. Typically LEDs start to fail because (1) the solder joints fail due to water ingress, or (2) vibration causes failure of the die bonding inside the LED package. Usually its (2). If you can open up the taillight assembly then its a relatively straightforward matter to replace the LEDs if you have access to a hot air rework solder station. The LEDs are readily available and are dirt cheap. Alternatively I think DEPO make an aftermarket replacement unit a lot cheaper than the OE. Not sure if its available in the UK though.

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - Engineer Andy

The taillight assembly uses a flexible PCB populated with lensed type 3528 PLCC-4 SMD LEDs. Typically LEDs start to fail because (1) the solder joints fail due to water ingress, or (2) vibration causes failure of the die bonding inside the LED package. Usually its (2). If you can open up the taillight assembly then its a relatively straightforward matter to replace the LEDs if you have access to a hot air rework solder station. The LEDs are readily available and are dirt cheap. Alternatively I think DEPO make an aftermarket replacement unit a lot cheaper than the OE. Not sure if its available in the UK though.

When my front headlamp went in my mid 90s Micra many moons ago, I just needed a pair of gloves (gripping) and at most a screwdriver, if memory serves. Took me around 5-10 mins. The new bulb cost around £5.

How we've 'progressed' in all that time.

Subaru XV - LED tail lights - elekie&a/c doctor
One of my neighbours has a 2016 bmw Z 4 . One of the plastic bulb holders for the brake bulb disintegrated . Although the holder is dismountable , it’s part of the complete light assembly and not available as a separate part . So rather than throwing away over £300 for the light , plus fitting, I managed a work around for around £20 .
Subaru XV - LED tail lights - Rerepo

Just before Covid struck I had a six month consultancy contract at the design HQ of a company that makes very expensive cars (I'm not going to name them). Now by coincidence I already owned one of these cars and it had a cracked rear light lens (caused by me reversing into a bin on my driveway). The dealer price for a new light unit was well over £1000 and so I had been looking for a secondhand replacement. When I started my contract I asked if they had any used units available (e.g. left over from testing or sc***ped test cars). I was told 'No, but you can buy a new part at cost price'. It turned out that employees could purchase parts at cost price for cars that they owned (on production of a V5 registration document in the employees name). Even though I was a contractor they let me use the scheme. The new light unit cost less than £30 !!