Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - peanutstew

Hi

I’m after any thoughts or suggestions on what car/vehicle to get, please, and thoughts on MPVs vs SUVs…

Here’s the low-down:

- I live in a very rural area where the roads are in bad condition

- It’s used mainly for short journeys of just a few miles

- But a couple of times a year or so it will be needed for a motorway run of a few hundred miles

- Annual mileage around 8k

It would be good to have:

- A decent mpg (petrol)

- Good road clearance

- Good boot capacity

- Budget = around £12k.

- No frills. I’m not bothered with any fancy stuff, so the more basic the better. Certainly don’t want to be paying extra for anything that’s fancy.

I had a Skoda Fabia Estate before, and now have a Corsa D. Both seem to forever have problems with: wishbone bushes, CV joints, drop links, shock absorbers, anti-roll bushes/links, suspension arms, etc… Are MPVs and SUVs likely to better in this respect? And if so, which of the two would be the best and not need frequent repairs?

Regarding SUVs, am open to suggestions but would be leaning towards a Dacia Duster…

Any thoughts or comments much appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by peanutstew on 08/05/2024 at 14:16

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Ian_SW

An MPV (other than possibly the van based ones) is unlikely to be any tougher than an average hatchback. They would probably survive less well than something like a Corsa because they are heavier so the suspension would have to work harder over the potholes.

Some SUVs would be tougher, though many vehicles people think of as SUVs (Nissan Qashqai, Kia Sportage etc) are really just oversized hatchbacks so not necessarily tougher. Again these are often heavier too so the suspension has more work to do on a rough road.

A proper SUV such as a Land Rover Defender or a pickup like a Toyota Hilux would survive better but these are a lot more expensive to buy and run if you don't need the towing or off-road capability.

The best option may be to accept that suspension parts are going to be consumable and focus on finding something which is cheap to repair and fairly lightweight to.minimise the damage inflicted from the bumps.

You will need something with a decent sidewall height though on the tyres which is becoming harder to find. The Dacia Duster would be a good bet (keep to the 2wd version and the repairs will be cheaper), as would a Suzuki Vitara or if you could have something smaller a Suzuki Ignis.

Many thanks for the reply.

Just a quick thought... When I said MPV I was indeed referring to the van based ones like the Berlingo, Combo Life, etc. So does that change anything? How do they perform against a Dacia Duster, etc?

Ta

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Andrew-T

I've no reason to pontificate on this question, but I would guess that (as has been suggested) unless you go for a vehicle with some pretence to be an off-roader you aren't likely to find much difference. What do the farmers use in your neck of the woods ?

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Adampr

Dacia Duster is the obvious choice. Having been through the same thought process myself recently, I ended up with a Suzuki Vitara. Lots of ground clearance, very light and little in the way of frills. If you don't need the space, the same could be said of a Suzuki Ignis.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - spog69

SWMBO has a Vitara (1.0 Turbo) and it seems very robust and simple compared to many newer cars - in a good way. Has a manual handbrake and manual 5 speed 'box and a basic touchscreen but does have Android Auto / Carplay. Only negative is that this SZ-T version has the 17" wheels with 55 profile tyres which can be a bit crashy especially since the car is so light. If you are not bothered about Android Auto and built-in satnav etc then I would recommend the SZ4 version with 16" 60 profile tyres which will be more compliant / softer ride over bumps and even cheaper.

Has good ground clearance and reasonable sized rectangular shaped boot space.

Probably will manage 45-50mpg from both the older 1.6 or 1.0 turbo and 40-45mpg in the 1.4 turbo which is probably the one to go for with your budget for the better performance?

Edited by spog69 on 08/05/2024 at 21:11

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Andrew-T

Dacia Duster is the obvious choice.

From what I've seen of the Duster I am not impressed by the boot space in what looks like quite a chunky car, tho it can have useful roof bars.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - FoxyJukebox
One key piece of advice-whatever car you buy get seriously tough tyres -pot holes every half mile need professional rubber-big time.
Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - RT
One key piece of advice-whatever car you buy get seriously tough tyres -pot holes every half mile need professional rubber-big time.

Agreed - worth getting XL-rated tyres even if the car doesn't specify them, they have thicker sidewalls

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Big John

Indeed - and avoid models of a anything with lower profile tyres- fortunately bobby basic versions usually are shod in higher profile rubber. Any versions that have higher ride height might be better as well - eg Kia Xceed compared to the Ceed.

PS avoid anything with run flat tyres.

The Dacia Duster has been mentioned which might be a good call although I seem to remember early Dacia's were known for a hard ride? Stage left suggestion - Suzuki S-Cross? It came on my radar recently for a different reason - in that I fit! Actually I was impressed and it's still on "the list"

Edited by Big John on 08/05/2024 at 22:44

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - badbusdriver

I disagree completely because the OP hasn't said anything about getting punctures. Tyres like the above are extra stiff and strong to cope with regularly carrying a heavy load. Using them on a lightly laden car on a heavily potholed road will cause more of the problems the OP is actually having because the suspension is having to do more of the work.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Steveieb

I keep a Mk 2 RAV 4 petrol which is 21 years old which I find brilliant in coping with the potholed roads around my town. My E320D is kept for long runs but the low profile tyres and suspension are built for airport trips .

There seems to be a big following around the world for the Mk2 possibly because of the great build quality and subsequent reliability , neat styling, and modest size.

Rust is the biggest enemy so one that has not been used for off roading is the one to buy.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Engineer Andy

I disagree completely because the OP hasn't said anything about getting punctures. Tyres like the above are extra stiff and strong to cope with regularly carrying a heavy load. Using them on a lightly laden car on a heavily potholed road will cause more of the problems the OP is actually having because the suspension is having to do more of the work.

I agree that if the OP is going to be using their car in a very rural area with poor quality roads / farm tracks, then having a car with a suspension designed for that use (and thus road manners on proper tarmacked road, especially faster-flowing ones, will not be so good) is highly important.

In addition, having tyres that help give both a reasonable ride and good traction in poor weather, though I'm sure having proper off-road tyres will also be more hardy than 'standard ones', including ordinary cars shod on higher profile tyres and/or those XL ones designed to carry extra load.

Perhaps a reliable (likely older, given the cost) 'double cab' vehicle might be worth a look if the roads are that bad? Whilst most will also have 4WD, which will be of benefit in poor weather / road conditions, it obviously comes with a big financial downside given the extra purchase, fuel and maintenance costs, plus the availability of somewhere to adequately maintain it within reasonably easy reach.

I suppose it all depends on how vital their transport is to them.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - gordonbennet

Forester, as low spec as possible for fewer frills and high profile tyres, no it won't be great on fuel but looked after it will take anything you throw at it, Outback a possible larger alternative but will almost certainly have the CVT gearbox in your budget which some people say can give trouble.

The trouble with smaller cars is that whilst the car might take the punishment of rough roads your back may not.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - SLO76
While I quite like the idea of the Duster the reality is that being a Renault you’ll find they’re heavy on suspension components. Every Renault I’ve ever owned or sold needed suspension work on a regular basis once past 40/50k and the Clio pool car we have at work is always up on the ramps having a bush or drop link replaced. It eats wheel bearings too.

A used Mk IV Honda CRV 2.0 2wd is probably the best bet, if you can find a well cared for example - I couldn’t locate a nice diesel when searching recently. They seem to be cars that people buy and neglect. The petrols have shot up in price recently too, especially the autos. The best model is the SE-T which has everything you really need and the 2wd version isn’t horrific on fuel, you should average 35mpg unless you’ve a heavy foot. They’re huge inside, they’re mechanically simple with no timing belt, no turbo, no 4wd system and no DPF to worry about. Get a good one and have it undersealed by professionals and it’ll last a decade or more.
Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Oli rag

Another vote for a tough and reliable Suzuki vitara or sx cross.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - SLO76

Another vote for a tough and reliable Suzuki vitara or sx cross.

Both good cars

Hi all

I've had a few days away at work so had a bit of time to mull it all over and research...

Some great replies and plenty of new options to look into now, so many thanks for the suggestions and thoughts.

Interesting RE what @SLO76 says about Renault / Dacia suspension. In other places I've read that Dacias are more geared toward countries with rough roads (I think Romania got a mention amongst others classed as "developing countries"). Not sure which is right!

In the meantime, I've come across the Dacia Jogger which I hadn't previously heard of. It seems to tick a lot of boxes.... Amazing price and generally great reviews. Having the extra length would be handy for ferrying stuff about, and also for the occasional short holiday sleeping in the back, with the rear seats left at home. The roof bars look handy too.

What do you guys think of the Jogger compared to the Duster, with my remit in mind? And more specifically, how does the tyre size compare to the Duster's, now that I'm starting to appreciate the importance of that?

Many thanks

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Adampr

I really like the Jogger (having never actually driven one...). It does come with an optional 'sleep' kit too.

It won't have quite the same ground clearance as a Duster and has no real off-road ability, but it is is quite light and I imagine the relatively long wheelbase gives it a reasonable ride.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - gordonbennet

I too think the Jogger is a superb sensible design, no frills and all the better for it, the image set don't like it (a bonus in itself) but i think its a nice looker compared to the awful looking things being churned out these days.

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - Steveieb

Shows how out of touch some consumer magazines are by voting the Jogger a “Don’t buy” because of the lack of safety features.

Absolute bargain and we need more cars like this !

Rural bumpy rough roads – would MPV or SUV be best - badbusdriver

Another fan of the Jogger here, possibly the ideal family car for those on a budget (and who don't feel the need for excessive amounts of power and/or a prestige badge!)

Re ground clearance, the info I can find says 200mm for the Jogger and 205mm for the Duster, so very little difference.

Re tyre size, the info I can find says 205/60x16 for the Jogger which is pretty decent for a modern car giving a sidewall height of 123mm. The Duster sits on 215/65x16 giving a sidewall height of 140mm, so a bigger difference than the ground clearance but not huge.