Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - peanutstew

Hi

My car has been making a strange noise for some time… It tends to happen more on country roads. But then again, I don’t do many miles and most of what I do do is on country roads.

It sounds like it’s coming from behind the front foot-wells, or perhaps a bit higher than that. Really tough to tell. And also tough to tell what side it is on. Sorry to be so vague!

I took it to a couple of garages, both of who put it on the ramp and couldn’t see anything. But they didn’t hear the noise because one didn’t want to drive the car out to have a listen, and the other garage wasn’t near any country roads and it therefore didn’t happen for them. One of the garages said they didn’t think it was suspension related.

Here’s a link to a recording of the sound. It’s more prominent around the middle and in the second half. It’s really tough to describe, so hopefully the recording will be enough, but happy to try to describe it if it would be helpful., or take more recordings. Or for that matter, to answer any other questions to help identify.

Would hugely appreciate any ideas. I need to make a long journey in a few weeks time but am reluctant to take it on the motorway until I know what the problem is.

Cheers

Audio:

drive.google.com/file/d/1Uuzpt2DeCm62APx00p-7u6KJP...g

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - blindspot

suspension noise. i would guess. drop links but mechanic would have felt them. maybe top mounts

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - focussed

I had a Corsa D that did this within 25K from new, the NS front suspension felt like it was coming up through the floor. Sorted under warranty without a murmur.

Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

I've just been checking out a YT video (about Corsa D and drop links) and it sounds the same as one of our sounds, although I think we may have more than one noise! Also, if I bounce the car I hear a knock, as per 1:01 on the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXJ73BvIxY

I've also just checked my last MOT certificate, and have these as advisories:

- Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement NSF

- Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened NSF

Could something be going on with a combination of all these things? To be honest, I don't now much about cars so don't know how related all these things are, or even if some things are the same but under different names!

Thanks again, any further thoughts much appreciated.

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - Topdude

Hi, drop links are not expensive items so i would have the front ones changed (and maybe rears as well) to eliminate them as the source of your noise.

If they don't fix it then start looking at other suspension components.

Hi

Back again! To recap the car was making two different noises. We've had some work done and it has cured one of the noises, but not the other.

Here's what happened. I decided in the end to book it in for an early MOT with a different garage, to make sure there was nothing hugely expensive to do on the car, and at the same time to get the noises sorted.

***Front drop link anti-roll bar*** This is what they diagnosed as making the noise. And it also failed the MOT for this (certificate said "Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt NSF Upper"). The work/replacement has been done and has cured one of the noises.

Everything else on the MOT was fine. No advisories. And everything else suspension related looked fine, including:

***Lower arm bush, passenger front*** The mechanic had a look and said it seems ok and he would not bother doing anything. It's not perfect, but there's not enough play/movement/problem to even be a MOT advisory. He said it might cause a slight noise when turning corners or heavy steering, but it's nothing to worry about.

However, drove it home and one of the noises is still there. It's the main noise you can hear in the above recording. I've done some new recordings and will put a link below. The first one is pretty good but have included the others too in case they are helpful.

It has since been back to the garage. They've had another look and took it for a drive to listen. They say there is nothing obvious, and so they are suspecting the noise is the front shock absorber. They said it is hard to visually tell or to test if this is worn, and seeing as everything else looks fine, all points to this being the problem. Will be around £200 all in.

I wondered what you guys think about it being that please? Does it sound likely? The noise seems to be coming from the area behind the pedals, but tbh it's tough to tell exactly.

Any replies would be a massive help, as the bills are building up which is fine if the issue gets sorted but not if it keeps having to go back for more work.

Huge thanks

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dpJLchprNW_h_Khr2w...g

Edited by peanutstew on 04/06/2024 at 14:40

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - bathtub tom

This wasn't one of those 'fit kwick' type of places , was it?

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - edlithgow

This could be a rabbit hole.

Given that multiple pros can't find anything,(the proposed shock replacement seems unsupported by any evidence) and you have a shiny new clean MOT, perhaps consider whether you could live with it?

I'm admittedly not very sensitive to this stuff though.

Anti roll bar drop links on my Nissan Sunny failed MOT, rusted absolutely solid and very difficult to remove, much jacking, hammering and strong language application. Replaced them with some from an abandoned car (technical theft, come and get me copper) and didn't notice any difference in drivability or noise.

Edited by edlithgow on 05/06/2024 at 01:23

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - medview

The drop links noise will come back after 10k miles. I identified another source of rattles in the Corsa, which was the air flaps, which are part of the cabin ventilation system. These are under the bonnet too and are simply rubber flaps.

We never kept our Corsa quiet for long..

Joe

Many thanks for the replies.

Just to add, I've asked my partner (she spoke to the garage), and she says they said something about ball bearings or some kinds of balls near the top of the shock absorbers that cannot be seen, which is why they cannot tell for sure if it will be that?

@bathtub tom - no, it is an independent garage in our local town.

@edlithgow - a rabbit hole is exactly what I fear! But I'm not sure how to avoid it. Unfortunately I find it hard to drive the car without feeling like something drastic is going to happen. Stupid perhaps, seeing as it passed the MOT. But on top of that, we hope to sell the car soon (but it's our only car so we need to use it in the meantime), and fear that selling it with that noise won't go well. I'm having a listen through YT at different sounds of different suspension parts, but that's a rabbit hole in itself!

@medview - did your air flaps noise sound similar to what I'm hearing? If so, would you be able to help me locate these parts so I can test for it?

Thanks again

Just wanted to come back to say we had the shock absorber and top mount changed today and all is good. Perhaps that might help someone in the future trying to diagnose a similar sound, although to be fair it seems like a lot of things can make this type of sound! Well, if that's case, here's another thing to add to the list of potentials for you!

Thanks for all the responses and help.

Vauxhall Corsa D - Any ideas on what this noise might be please? - Xileno

Pleased you got t sorted. Thanks for updating the thread, as you say it might help someone else if they hit upon this thread when researching the same problem.