petrol bias - Thomson Jarvis
Chatting in the pub the other day and your column came up and two things surfaced. The first a feeling that your growing biased to the manufacturers regularly and increasingly giving them the benefit of the doubt. And secondly regularly endorsing often the more expensive branded fuels offered by esso and shell etc. especially for high performance or sporty models. I know of two police forces that fill all there vehicles including patrol cars and high pursuit vehicles at the local supermarket, strange given what you say about performance and damage?

TJ
Re: petrol bias - crazed
wouldnt count a police force as expert in this matter, quite the reverse, police fleets have made countless glaring errors over the years
Re: petrol bias - Honest John
Why has this been posted in The Backroom?

I recommend Shell petrol and diesel because I have no problem with it, not for any other reason. I have also had verty good results with Texaco petrol. I don't have the time or the funding or the cars to test every brand of petrol, so I stick with recommending what I know. That's what recommendations are.

As for manufacturer bias, same thing. I recommend what I think is good and don't recommend what I think is bad and what my readers tell me is unreliable.

Renault and Peugeot really love me.

HJ
Re: petrol bias - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
Try saying that to the owner of a BMW 328/528/Z3 with damaged bore linings due to using supermarket petrol.

Why would the police care about the state of their engines in 5 years time anyway?
Re: petrol bias - brian
In all innocence I would ask what is thought to be wrong with supermarket petrol.
Re: petrol bias - Flat in Fifth
brian wrote:
>
> In all innocence I would ask what is thought to be wrong with
> supermarket petrol.

Also in innocence I would ask where is the objective evidence based on other than a straw poll.
Re: petrol bias - John S
FIF

Couldn't agree more. I know that you and I don't have any worries about Supermarket petrol, and frankly I see so many people queuing at Sainsburys etc, I'm sure if it really was a problem something concrete would have come to light by now.

I'll say my usual. The supermarkets have 40% of the market, and they don't have any refineries. So, their petrol comes from a variety of sources. The major oil companies also share products from the 5 or 6(?) big refineries in the UK, and it's produced to common standards. That's one reason why 'New Formula Shell' a number of years back relied on an additive pack added on delivery, and look what a mess that caused.

There's a slim chance if you always buy from one source, which is always supplied from the same refinery you may get the same fuel, but I doubt it.

Regards

John
Re: petrol bias - CM
Is it all Sainsbury's that sell City Diesel? They charge (usually) 1p a litre more for this than the mainstream filling stations. Is there any difference between this City Diesel and say Shell's diesel or is it some money making scam?
Re: petrol bias - Alan
All petrol has to meet a legal mimimum spec. It should be a car manufacturers responsibility to make sure that thier cars can run on that petrol.