First points update - dan
Hi all,
Thought about requesting photo and proof of camera calibration but when l read that they'd measured me doing 94mph at the time of the offence...(Yes bad boy l know).
Think l'll take the 3 points conditional offer and say thankyou very much!

dan
Re: First points update - Union Jack
Dan - Seems like a fair cop

In the dim and distant pre camera days, I gather that traffic officers sometimes applied discretion by quoting a lesser speed when reporting an alleged speed around the 100 mph mark to save the driver concerned from short term loss of licence, but I don't know whether anyone has - sorry, knows of - recent experience of any such discretion. Possibly CM (as in the recent thread on "In-car Distractions")?

Jack
Re: First points update - CM
I know a biker who got done by a biker cop doing 135mph on the A35. The cop said that he would not do him for the speed that the gun coaught him at (I think because he could not get areading over 200yds or whatever was needed).

Thinking that he was going to get off lightly he ended up with a £500 fine and 6 points (I suppose that is quite light compared to a ban for going 75mph over the speed limit).
Re: First points update - Mark (Brazil)
>>but when l read that they'd measured me doing 94mph at the time of the offence

Purely out of interest, what speed did you think you were doing ?
Re: First points update - smokie
Good point Mark, I bet the speedo was over 100...

I know when I got laser'd for 108.6 I had been on cruise control for about 50 miles, with the clock showing rock steady 120... virtually exactly 10% error. Of course, he asked how fast I thought I was going, I just replied "faster than I should have been, obviously". He thought that was funny...
Re: First points update - dan
About 85 with a few other cars. Guess my speedo's not over-estimating (+10% is typical). Least l know now!
No l am not a boy racer... l can practically grow a beard.
Re: First points update - bob
dan, out of interest, what was the speed limit on the road at the time?
Its in My First Points! thread about a week ago. It was a proper dual carraigeway A47. Speed 70. (If it were anything else, l think l'd be in court rather than a £60 fine).

dan
Re: First points update - steve paterson
Dan,
Pretty good eh, you happened to find yourself out of control in something fast and intelligent. And you're bragging about it !
Re: First points update - Nick
Oh do me a favour please. Cut the self righteous c**p. You I suppose have never ever done anything slightly illegal. I don't believe anyone mentioned the words "Out of control".
Thanks Nick,

Like l said Steve l was moving with the flow of traffic. (And no that doesn't mean 94 up someones @rse...) I did expect to get some stick, but l'd sooner be 100% aware of my surroundings than know my speed to the nearest mile per hour any day.

What do you do, sit in the overtaking lane at 70 staring at your speedo until you gracefully plough into the back of another car? ;-)

regards,
dan
Re: First points update - Jud
steve paterson wrote:
>
> Dan,
> Pretty good eh, you happened to find yourself out of control
> in something fast and intelligent. And you're bragging about
> it !
Are you taking the correct dosage , if you are see your doctor about an alternative drug , and please don't drive until you have sorted it.
I don't think there was any brag attacted to the posting , most cars will do 100mph. And the last two cars i had prefered to cruise at 90mph rather than 70mph
Re: First points update - Trevor Potter
"the last two cars i had prefered to cruise at 90mph rather than 70mph"

I see - is that similar to "My car doesn't like going at 30mph"?
Re: First points update - Jud
It means the journey is less tiring due to the lower noise/harmonics levels, gradients are dispatched with ease , all cars have a comfort zone speed.
As for travelling at 30mph in a 30 limit this i do with ease in 4th , and 40 is dispatched with ease in 5th , the only problem i have with speed limits is the following line of cars following up my bumper , a pity more drivers are not fined for travelling dangerously close , don't you think?
"a pity more drivers are not fined for travelling dangerously close , don't you think?"

YES

The problem is "catching" them.

For the next month (who knows, it may go on longer), there will be effectively NO Traffic Police in London.

Tont Blair has ordered that ALL London police will combat "street crime" - because He has "promised" that it will be reduced.
Re: First points update - Cockle
Union Jack

You asked if discretion has been shown to anyone recently, I have it on reasonable authority that it has and in Essex of all places!

We recently had a nice shiny dualled section of the A130 opened, virtually straight for six miles with no junctions along its current length, like a light to a moth for some of our local bikers. Two of these bikers play for our local football club and were clocked by the Bill doing 146mph but it appeared on the summons and in the local press as 137mph. According to one of them the Bill said that they were going to get whacked anyway but if they were over double the limit they would get an automatic ban but as it was a 'safeish' piece of road he would let them take their chances with the magistrates and mark it down a little. Whether this is totally kosher I wouldn't like to say but it would be nice to think our coppers are still able to show a human face.
Re: First points update - smokie
I thought +30 over any speed limit was virtually automatic ban anyway?
Re: First points update - Union Jack
>it would be nice to think our coppers are still able to show a human face

It would be rather scary if they showed any other kind! Not so sure about the French motos though ....

DD
Re: First points update - steve paterson
Nick,
According to his post, Dan didn't know he was doing almost 100mph. Until somebody else told him. Not exactly in control is it.
Jud drives cars that tell him how fast they want to go. Now that's an intelligent motor for you !!
No, you don't understand.

If you are driving "properly", you don't have time to look at the speedo (probably not the mirror either).
Re: First points update - Brian
The new A 130 had an accident in the week that it was opened and the local anti-car ranters had their usual gripe in the local paper about the dangers of high speeds to life and limb.
In fact, the accident involved a lorry and a JCB.