What licence do I need to drive a van that's been converted to a camper?

I am 18-years-old and I've just passed my driving test. I have bought a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter which I've converted into a campervan. Can I drive this sort of van on my licence as I want to travel all around Europe in it?

Asked on 20 January 2020 by jack Kennefick

Answered by Dan Powell
A full UK driving licence (category B) entitles you to drive a conventional, rigid-axle van that weighs up to 3.5 tonnes. If the camper exceeds this weight, you might need to take extra tests before you can legally drive it.
Similar questions
I have bought a secondhand Volkswagen T5, which was professionally converted to a pop-top camper. It is still registered with the DVLA as a transporter panel van on the V5C. Should I try and re-register...
What is the best affordable to run reliable micro van to convert into micro camper?
Are there any manufacturers (other than Volkswagen) who produce their own camping conversions/models?
Related models
Excellent refinement and supple suspension, high quality cabin.

Value my van

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer