My van was converted to a camper - do I need to change its status on the V5C?

I have bought a secondhand Volkswagen T5, which was professionally converted to a pop-top camper. It is still registered with the DVLA as a transporter panel van on the V5C. Should I try and re-register it as a motor caravan for insurance and tax purposes?

Asked on 22 January 2020 by Deryck Burton

Answered by Dan Powell
You can submit an application to the DVLA and ask them to change its classification. You will need to fill in section one of the V5C and submit it with a V1006 form. You must include photos to show the van has two or more windows on one side of the body, seats and a table, sleeping accommodation, cooking facilities and internal storage. The DVLA will also require photos of the exterior and numberplate (front, rear and both sides), along with a photo showing the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the chassis number. On the back of each photo, write a description of what the photo shows, the date and the vehicle registration number.
Similar questions
I am 18-years-old and I've just passed my driving test. I have bought a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter which I've converted into a campervan. Can I drive this sort of van on my licence as I want to travel all...
Are there any manufacturers (other than Volkswagen) who produce their own camping conversions/models?
I need to sell my camper conversion LDV Pilot. It is a W reg and the head gasket has blown. Can you advise what to expect as an offer or to scrap, please?
Related models
Very refined and car-like to drive with an upmarket cabin, durable and well built, smooth common-rail TDI engine, available as a Shuttle which seats up to nine, ESP stability control as standard.

Value my van