Fiat Ducato (2006–)
- June 2006: Fiat launches all-new Ducato
- November 2008
- November 2009
- September 2011
- October 2011: Fiat Ducato is revised
- April 2013: ESP made standard fit
- April 2014: Ducato Sportivo launched
- June 2019: New engines and nine-speed auto added to Ducato range
Fiat launches all-new Ducato
There are 25 different versions on offer and a payload of up to 1.85-tonnes. Three engines are available: 100PS 2.2-litre, 120PS 2.3-litre and 160PS 3.0-litre turbodiesels, the two more powerful with six-speed manual gearboxes as standard.
Closely related to the Citroen Relay and Peugeot Boxer, the Fiat Ducato is one of the most common vans on the UK’s roads. They are all built at the same factory in Italy, so it can be argued the Fiat is the more senior partner in this triumvirate.
The Ducato was originally launched way back in 1981 and the present generation was revised in 2011 to give better economy and emissions. Well regarded for its looks and decent drive, the Ducato now also comes with Euro 5-compliant engines that means London’s Low Emissions Zone holds no fear, or added costs, for the Ducato driver.
The two millionth Fiat Ducato rolls off the production line in Sevel, Italy.
Fiat Service Plans are launched to provide servicing with all parts and labour costs included. It allows an operator to spread the cost of maintenance and repair work with monthly interest-free payments.
Fiat introduces a new range of Euro 5 emissions-compliant diesel engines to the Ducato line-up. There’s a 110PS 2.3 motor exclusively for the UK, while other engines include 130PS and 150PS 2.3 diesels and a 180PS 3.0-litre.
Fiat Ducato is revised
There are now two different engines, a 2.3-litre and a 3.0-litre, both of which feature MultiJet technology and are Euro V compliant. Power outputs for the belt cam 2.3-litre engine are 110, 130PS and 150PS and the 3.0-litre is only available with 180PS.
There are numerous different body styles available with gross vehicle weight ratings ranging from 3000-4000kg, with maximum payloads of between 1000kg and 2000kg including the driver. There are three different wheelbases and three different heights, making for a wealth of configurations, with eight different load area volumes ranging from eight to 17m3.
ESP made standard fit
Fiat finally made ESP (electronic stability programme) standard across the entire range of Ducato vans, chassis cabs, combis and minibuses.
Ducato Sportivo launched
Adds alloy wheels, engine power upgrades, Sportivo side-stripes and painted bumpers. As with Tecnico versions, air conditioning, Blue&Me connectivity with a TomTom satnav dock, front fog lights and parking sensors are also standard. The Ducato Sportivo range starts at £14,995 for the short-wheelbase 2.3 150 MultiJet II, a 20PS boost over the £14,295 Ducato Tecnico 2.3 130 MultiJet II, with a £700 price premium for standard, medium and long-wheelbase versions.
New engines and nine-speed auto added to Ducato range
The Ducato has been updated for MY20 with a range of improved Euro6D engines, a nine-speed automatic transmission with torque converter, advanced ADAS driving assist systems and revised exterior.
The Ducato’s range of MultiJet2 2.3-litre engine features a new turbocharger that adapts its fluid dynamics to the speed of the engine and to driving styles thanks to the implementation of a series of mobile blades situated along the radius of the turbine. This controls the flow of exhaust gas and consequently the speed and force of the compressor, to provide the right performance at all times.
The entry level Ducato produces 120PS from the 2.3-litre MultiJet 2 engine at 2750rpm with a maximum torque of 320Nm at 1400rpm. It is teamed with the manual gearbox, which improves power and torque delivery by 10 per cent compared to the previous 2.0-litre engine.
The 140PS version is versatile and flexible with its 350Nm torque (an increase of nine per cent compared to the previous 130hp MultiJet engine) available at just 1400rpm and offered with a choice of six-speed manual gearbox and the nine-speed automatic transmission. The 160PS variant reaches peak power output at 3500rpm and distributes up to 400Nm torque at 1500rpm in the automatic version. This power unit implements a specific engine shaft with oversized bearings, special pistons and a specific turbocharger to improve performance.
The top-end of the range boasts the 180PS version of the 2.3-litre MultiJet engine with peak power coming in at 3500rpm and 400Nm torque from 1500 to 3,000rpm, with manual gearbox. Combined with the nine-speed automatic transmission it produces 450Nm torque, 12 per cent more than the previous model placing it best-in-class in terms of torque in its category.
The following devices and driver aids are available:
- Blind spot assist (BSA), uses radar sensors installed in the rear bumper to identify approaching vehicles in blind spots.
- The Rear Cross Path detection (RCP) uses radar sensors to identify vehicles approaching from the side, when the vehicle is reversing.
- Full brake control (FBC) identifies obstacles and, after checking whether there is imminent danger of collision, alerts the driver and intervenes by automatically triggering emergency braking.
- Lane departure warning system (LDWS), determines whether the vehicle is leaving the lane, even in poor visibility conditions, and in the event of danger an acoustic and visual signal alerts the driver.
- Traffic sign recognition uses the on-board camera to recognise speed limits, displaying them on the instrument cluster.
- High beam recognition manages the main beam headlights, increasing visibility and reducing the risk of dazzling when driving at night, automatically recognising vehicles travelling in the opposite direction.
- Rain and dusk sensor activates the windscreen wipers and adjusts their speed according to the intensity of rain. The dusk sensor automatically activates the low-beam headlights when required.
- Tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the pressure of the tyres constantly, indicating any loss in pressure directly on the on-board display.
The more powerful LED Cargo Lights which are available in three different sizes according to the vehicle wheelbase, guarantee efficient lighting in the load area at all times, up to 70 lux in the middle and 40 lux along the perimeter.