Ask a Question

Can I still drive my van if it's a Cat S write off?

I was recently hit from the rear in my van and the engineer deemed it a Cat S write off. I have since bought the van back as all it needs is some minor metal work, a rear bumper and back doors. It says online that I have to re-register with the DVLA. Is this true? Also is my insurance cancelled after 30 days of my van being written?

Asked on by

If the accident was not your fault, then your insurance policy should continue. If the car is a Cat S, you need to send the V5C to the insurer and reapply for a free replacement using the V62 form. This is done so an S marker can be put on the V5C.
Similar questions
My car was written off in 2018 and is classified a Cat N. I had another non-fault accident with the same vehicle. The market value they paid at the first accident was £3000. Because the car has a category,...
I have been offered a cheap car but the seller has said it was once an insurance write off. A quick check shows it was a Cat B write off in 2008. Everything I read says a Cat B can only be sold for parts...
I have never bought a category A, B or C car. However I'm looking to swap my ageing 57 plate Nissan soon and I've noticed a Ford Kuga for sale that is a Cat S write off. When I asked what structural damage...

Ask Honest John

Value my van