Ask a Question

Does my driving licence cover me to drive a motorhome?

Last year I turned 70, my driving licence was renewed quickly and without question. However I also own a Ford Transit based motorhome. I am beginning of to wonder if the seemingly unquestioned renewal of my driving licence also applies to the motor home. How can I determine if I’m still permitted to drive the motorhome?

Asked on by

A full UK driving licence (category B) entitles you to drive conventional, rigid-axle vans that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes, which means you should be able to drive most camper vans with a car licence. If you passed your test before January 1997 then you may automatically be able to drive larger, heavier vehicles weighing up to 7.5 tonnes - the back of your driving licence card will tell you for sure.

For more information on what types of vans you can drive with a car licence, see:
Similar questions
When renewing my driving licence at 70, I didn't apply to retain the right to continue to drive vehicles up to 7000kg. However, having enjoyed a motorhome for the last two years, I would like to be able...
Is GAP insurance available for motorhomes over 10 years old? We are interested in some for an 11-year-old camper van with only 37,000 miles on the clock. It's worth about £30k.
What is the law about parking up a motorhome by the side of the road or in a car park and sleeping inside it for the night? This is known as "roaming" in the motorhome community.

Ask Honest John

Value my van