What can I do if I think a vehicle has been issued an MoT when it's not roadworthy?

I purchased a van with four months MoT. The history shows that it failed its MoT in 2017 due to lots of welding being required. In 2018 an MoT was issued with no advisories but today I took the van to a garage to check it over, only to find that everything it failed on in 2017 had not been touched. What can I do?

Asked on 14 June 2019 by carl

Answered by Dan Powell
You can report the MoT station, here:www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-...t

You could try and sue the seller for breach of contract, but you'd need documented proof (a copy of the original advert) that they misled you with the van's description. It will be very difficult to prove a breach of contract if the assurances were made verbally.

In any case, a route through the small claims court will allow you to claim up to £10,000. But I'd strongly recommend getting some advice from a solicitor before taking any form of legal action.
Similar questions
I feel moved to write about recent legislation on exempting pre-1960 vehicles from a MoT. I'm a classic car fan and own Sunbeam Rapiers and a collection of mid-eighties Audi B2 80's. These later cars are...
My car was supplied with the front suspension transit blocks still in place. At the second service, they were spotted and removed. Up to that point, was the car safe and legal?
My ex-boyfriend was taken to police station and his car confiscated. He had no tax, insurance or MOT, the car had large crack on windscreen and possibly illegal tyres, and when breath tested his reading...

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my van