Ask a Question

Does a campervan registered in 1978 need an MoT?

Does a campervan registered in 1978 need an MoT?

Asked on by

We spoke to the DVSA's Vehicle Testing and Roadworthiness team. They said, 'The historic exemption will apply to motorcaravans built more than 40 years ago where no substantial changes have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years.' Different rules apply if the vehicle has been converted to a ‘living van'. There's more information on historic vehicles and the 40-year MoT exemption rule here:

Information on exemptions and historic vehicles -

Similar questions
I have a Q registration kit car which was last taxed and insured in 1990. Since then the vehicle has been in my garage. I have never declared SORN for the vehicle since at the time there was no requirement...
My car was SORN'd in September 2015. It became eligible for Historic Vehicle Status in April 2016. I assumed DVSA would automatically update details and therefore no need for me to contact them prior to...
I have a VW T25 Camper that's showing signs of rust in the creases/joins on the bodywork. My plan is to scrape/brush/sand out all visible rust and then treat. I have been looking online for a rust treatment/...

Ask Honest John

Value my van