Will converting our van into a campervan affect its registered disabled status?

Our van is registered as disabled because we have a handicapped child. Will converting it to a campervan affect its disabled status?

Asked on 2 May 2017 by Sherrie Eykelbosch

Answered by Dan Powell
As far as I’m aware, it is possible to register a camper van for disabled use. However, you can only have one vehicle registered for tax exemption and it must be registered in the name of the nominated driver. That means the camper would retain its disabled status, so long as it is the sole form of transport for your child. For more details, see: www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-tr...t

Obviously, if you’re converting the van, you’ll need to return the V5C for amendment. However, I would recommend contacting the DVLA first to explain the fact that you need to retain the disabled status as there might be additional paperwork to fill in. See: www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla
Similar questions
I have a 2010 Volkswagen T5 Transporter camper conversion which has developed a pronounced clatter at the rear on rough roads - not over speed bumps though. I've check the furniture and all seems tightly...
I've bought a 2002 4WD Mercedes-Benz Sprinter high roof van that's partially converted as a camper. It's been well maintained but has some rust along the bottom panels and underneath, though not bad for...
I want to buy a large panel van for conversion to a camper. My price range is up to £5000. Most of the vans I have seen advertised at this price have done over 150,000 miles, and some a lot more than that....

Value my van

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer