Van and pick-up road tax VED rates 2022-2023

Everything you need to know when it comes to buying road tax VED for a van or pick-up. 

These are the latest road tax VED rates for vans and pick-ups. Just like cars, the rate of road tax (called Vehicle Excise Duty in official-speak) applied to a van is determined firstly by its age. Vehicles registered before 2001 are simply - vehicles with engines over 1549cc pay more - but after that period the rules are substantially different. 

This guide will help you understand the system so you know where you stand when it comes to understanding the tax rates for all makes and models of van and pick-up.  

How much is the road tax for a van?

The starting point for road tax calculation is the date of the vehicle's first registration: if it is on or after 1 March 2001 and classed as a light goods vehicle (weighing less than 3500kg) then you pay a flat rate. However, if your vehicle is Euro4 or Euro5 compliant and was first registered between certain fixed dates, the rates are different.

Are pick-up trucks taxed differently to vans?

Most pick-up trucks are taxed the same as vans. This is because they are classed as light commercial vehicles because they can carry over 1000kg. You can check this status on the V5C logbook. 

Older vans

If you like to get the most out of your van or pick-up and it was built before January 1979, it is road tax exempt. This applies to most vehicles that are 40 years old, so from January 2020 vehicles built or registered before January 1980 will become exempt, and so on.

If you are fortunate enough to have a tax-exempt van you have to apply for an exemption - you can do that on the Government’s website here.

Van and pick-up road tax tables

These are the latest road tax VED tables for vans and pick-ups that do not exceed 3500kg revenue weight (also known as maximum or gross vehicle weight). 

As with car tax rates, you pay a little more for 12 months in direct debits or a fraction less for a single six-month payment.

Registered before 1 March 2001

Engine size (cc)  12 months tax  6 months tax
1549 and below £180 £94.50
 Above 1549 £295  £154.88

Registered on or after 1 March 2001

  12 months tax 6 months tax
Early euro 4 and euro 5 compliant vans £140 £73.50
All other vans £290 £152.25

Euro4 and Euro5 vans

If your van or pick-up is Euro4 or Euro5 emission compliant and was first registered between fixed dates, the road tax rates are different. 

These changes reflect stricter emission targets and encourage the use of newer, more efficient commercial vehicles, but since then the rules have reverted to a flat rate, unlike the rules for cars which remain emission-specific.

Euro4 vans and pick-ups registered between 1 March 2003 and 31 December 2006

12 months tax 6 months tax
 £140  £77

Euro5 vans and pick-ups registered between 1 January 2009 and 31 December 2010

12 months tax 6 months tax
£140 £77

Electric vans

Electric vans are 100 per cent exempt from road tax VED. However, while you are required to pay absolutely nothing in monetary terms, you still need to go through the process of taxing the vehicle. This can be done easily and quickly online, over the phone or through a local Post Office. 

Electric vans also qualify for automatic exemption from urban pollution charging zones - like the London ULEZ - and qualify for certain benefits when it comes to payload and weights

Motorhome and camper van tax rates

Road tax VED rates for camper vans and motorhomes operate differently to panel vans and pick-ups, with the amount of tax you pay being determined by the weight, type and age of the vehicle. 

Everything you need to know when it comes to buying road tax VED for your new or used motorhome or camper van can be found in our dedicated tax section for these type of vehicles here

How do I tax my van or pick-up?

Taxing a vehicle is a lot easier than it used to be, with payment now being accepted online or over the phone via a dedicated 24-hour help line.

It's important to note that you can no longer ‘inherit’ the remaining road tax, if you buy a used vehicle. Instead the previous owner will claim a refund for the remaining VED road tax, which means the new owner needs to tax the vehicle before organising insurance and driving it away. 

Before you get started, you will need a means of payment, a vehicle with a valid MoT (and possibly the certificate) and either the V5C, a V11 reminder or the ‘green slip’ if you’ve bought the vehicle second-hand. These three documents contain the reference number you need for the process.

You can use the Government’s VED website to pay online in a matter of moments, or call the automated 24-hour VED line on 0300 1234321 - although if you use the hotline you cannot set up a Direct Debit.

Alternatively you can choose the old-school route and visit a Post Office, although you should check in advance that the branch offers the service as some local Post Offices cannot provide the service.


Value my van

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer